This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

When I was young, experiencing Christmas in New York City was always a dream of mine. Now that I have the chance, I have taken every opportunity I’ve had to go in and discover just what makes the city special during the holidays. This is my list of all the spectacular must-see sights and events that will take your breath away. 

1. Dyker Heights Christmas Lights

Although Dyker Heights is a bit of a trip from Manhattan, the Christmas Lights that decorate this neighborhood are totally worth it. Many people say Dyker Heights is home to the best decorations in all of the city and from what I have seen, that statement stands true. The houses are decorated with Christmas wreaths, inflatables and, of course, thousands of lights. The best of the best are from 11th to 13th avenue and 83rd to 86th street, and most people turn on their lights from dusk until around 9 p.m.

2. Holiday Shows

A post shared by Rockettes (@therockettes) on

New York City is home to many different shows year round, but there are a few that you can only see during the holiday season. The most popular shows in the city during this time of year are the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes as well as the NYC Ballet: George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker. The tickets may cost you a pretty penny, but the shows are completely worth it. 

3. Ice Skating 

A post shared by Wollman Rink ⛸ (@wollmanrink) on

Ice skating in the city around Christmas time is an absolute must. The prime spot to hit the ice is the rink at Rockefeller Center, though the skate may put a dent in your holiday shopping budget. Other options include the Wollman Rink at Central Park and the rink at Bryant Park, both of which are just as fun and neither will break the bank.

4. Rockefeller Christmas Tree

If you decide to skate elsewhere, you’ll still have to visit Rockefeller Center for the iconic Christmas tree. People from around the world come to visit New York to see the tree each year and it’s a spectacular sight you do not want to miss! 

5. Bryant Park Winter Village

Ice skating isn’t the only thing Bryant Park is known for during the holidays. Throughout the season, a various array of holiday shops are open and people from all over the city come to the open-air market to purchase gifts. 

6. Holiday Window Displays 

A post shared by Saks Fifth Avenue (@saks) on

Every year around Christmas time, stores around the city decorate their windows with breathtaking displays. Some of my favorite windows in the past have been at Macy’s, Lord and Taylor, and Saks Fifth Avenue. This year, I’ve heard Bloomingdale’s and Bergdorf Goodman’s windows are stunning as well and are on my to-see list!

7. Holiday Pop Up Shops

Similarly to Bryant Park, there are a few different locations in the city where holiday shops have popped up for the season. If you still have yet to purchase your Christmas gifts, I highly recommend checking out the Columbus Circle Holiday Market or the Jingle Holiday Pop Up in Chelsea. Both offer unique gifts, some of which are handmade, to give to your family and friends!

Make sure you get into the city to see all of these holiday sights and events before the season ends! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Kiera is a junior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Global Studies with a minor in Creative Writing. When she's not studying or writing articles, you can probably find her somewhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn. After college, she aspires to be an author and a travel writer.