jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Dorm Room Essentials That Are Often Overlooked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Every year, when I begin packing, I remember those weird little things that I wish I had had the previous semester. So here’s a shortlist of some dorm room items that I have deemed essential and sometimes forgotten.

Photo Courtesy of photopin.com

Scissors

My mom was the one that thought of these when I was going into my freshman year. I don’t use them all the time, but they come in handy for cutting off the tags of things I probably don’t need but really want.

Umbrella

This seems pretty obvious, so obvious that I almost didn’t bring one because I thought a raincoat would be enough. Again, my mom saved the day and made me bring one, and now walking to class is a lot less sad and wet.

Lanyard

This isn’t necessary for everyone, but I found it really helpful for carrying around my ID and keys. I didn’t actually have a lanyard to bring, but I bought one at school. To save a little money I recommend bringing one if you have it.

Lint Roller

Before college, I rarely used a lint roller, simply because I wasn’t really thinking about lint or looking professional. I’m glad I brought one because I use it for my clothes and my couch.

Reusable Water Bottle

Almost everyone has a reusable water bottle since the environment is extremely important, but I never really knew how useful it would be to me. With filtered water fountains all over campus, I never have to buy water.

Lap Desk

I never understood why these don’t get more hype, but I love my lap desk. I’ve never been able to work at a desk, and with a lap desk, I never had to; I can do everything I need from the comfort of my bed.

Business Professional Clothes

It’s best to be prepared for interviews and internships from the start with a couple of pairs of dress pants and blouses. Once I knew that they were truly needed, I went out to buy some cute skirts and dresses wherever I could find a sale. (I apologize for the wrinkles, but packing was rough.

These few things might not seem that important, but trust us, you’ll be glad to have them. I forget things every year, no matter how many times my mom reminds me, but I’m slowly learning what’s actually important to take, and what’s not. Bless you, Target.

All photos courtesy of Claire Blaha

Cover image courtesy of bruce mars on pexels.com

I am currently a Journalism Major at Hofstra University with a minor in Creative Writing. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, and my dream is to work for a fashion magazine in New York City (basically I want a life like "The Devil Wears Prada"). My interests include fashion, binge watching movies illegally on the internet, and working out every other week or so.