sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Best Haunted Houses on Long Island

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Who doesn’t like a good scare to get themselves in the mood for Halloween? We’ve got some of Long Island’s top rated Haunted Houses this October that will leave you shaking with your family, significant other, or friends.

Gateway’s Haunted Playhouse215 S Country Rd, Bellport NY 11713Price: $25-40 eachThis haunt is in a 100 year old estate. This tour includes different themes including asylums, barns, and clowns. The house will take about 15-30 minutes to go through with your group.

NYZ Apocalypse450 Commack Rd, Deer Park NY 11729Price: $15-40If you love The Walking Dead or Z-Nation, you will definitely enjoy the scare attraction New York Zombie Apocalypse in Deer Park. You will be given laser guns and will have to make your way through an underground prison system while killing off the zombies that pop up around you. After you’ve compared your zombie killing performance with your friends, you can relax and grab a bite or drink at their bar and lounge.

Haunted Mansion of Melville26 Pinelawn Rd, Melville NY 11747Price: $5-30You can choose to get a combo ticket to see the three attractions or explore each separately: the haunted corn maze, mansion or experiment. If you get the combo ticket, you get the experiment experience for free!

Bayville Scream Park8 Bayville Avenue, Bayville NY 11709Price: $10.75-50You can choose from exploring the Haunted Mansion to getting tickets to see 5 different attractions in this park. You will get locked in the mansion and will beapproached by vampires and other creatures throughout the visit.

Chamber of Horrors1745 Express Dr, N Hauppauge NY 11788Price: $25-60This features a bunch of different shows such as “Kill the Light” and “Trilogy of Fear”. This year, they opened up with three new attractions as part of their “Trilogy of Fear”, which include a manor and an asylum.

Happy Haunts2245 Broad Hollow Rd (Route 110), Farmingdale NY 11735Price: FreeIf you’re looking for a haunt that is more family friendly (and that doesn’t cost much), Happy Haunts in Farmingdale is the place to go. Adventureland offers free admissions on certain days so you can explore Happy Haunts without spending much.

Rise of the Jack O’Lanterns71 Old Westbury Rd, Westbury, NY 11590Price: $26 eachNow this one doesn’t really count as a haunted house, but if you aren’t into the whole idea of scaring yourself out of your own skin, you should definitely check out the Rise of the Jack O’Lanterns that is held at the Old Westbury Gardens. Thousands of carved pumpkins are on display and many of them are even stacked together to form bigger works of art. 

Areeba Khan

Hofstra '18

Areeba earned her Master of Health Administration from Hofstra University with distinction after graduating with a Bachelor's in Biology from Hofstra. She currently works at Northwell Direct as a Project Manager. When she's not reading or writing, Areeba is usually trying out a new restaurant or dessert spot with her friends.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.