david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Spooky Halloween Activities in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner, it’s time to finish those costumes and start celebrating. Whether you enjoy the tricks or the treats (or both), New York City has you covered. From the scariest haunted house to carving pumpkins in Central Park, these are the best activites to do in NYC just in time for Halloween.

Bane Haunted House

Voted as one of the most terrifying in the nation, Bane Haunted House is known to play on all types of fears. Located in Hell’s Kitchen and with 100+ live actors it is a New York City hot spot for those looking to be scared! Be sure to buy your tickets ahead of time as tickets are known to sell out before doors open. 

Village Halloween Parade

If you’re looking to show off your costume Halloween night Greenwich Village is the place to go! Join over 50,000 others in the Village Halloween Parade to march down the streets of New York City. The parade typically runs from 7pm to 10:30pm and takes place on 6th avenue. No costume? No problem! Join many other New York spectators to watch the parade go by.

The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze

The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze is a walk through of over 7,000 hand carved pumpkins that should not be missed this Halloween season. There’s also food, gazing at the stars through the pumpkin observatory and a guest appearance from the Headless Horsemen. Check out this illuminated display now through the end of November.

Wall Street Walks Ghost Tour

Available every weekend of October and Halloween night, the Wall Street Walks Ghost Tour takes you through New York City’s most haunted and historic neighborhood of the Financial District. You’ll come across grave sites, eery historic buildings and dark alleys of the city. A fun way to celebrate the spooky side of Halloween!

Boo at the Zoo

Prefer not to be scared? The Bronx Zoo keeps Halloween light-hearted and fun with their annual event Boo at the Zoo! Celebrate Halloween with the wildlife residing at the zoo where many activities are planned such as a corn maze, candy trail and costume parade! A great opportunity to wear your best animal costume.

Halloween Pumpkin Flotilla

Central Park puts their own twist on traditional Halloween celebration by floating pumpkins across the Harlem Meer. Want to send your own pumpkin off in the Flotilla? Carve it and drop it off October 30th at 4pm! Make sure to check out the other fun activities while you wait for the floatilla; There will be Halloween crafts, spooky stories and a costume parade!

These Halloween activities are the perfect way to celebrate the holiday, so get out there and get spooky. We know you want to!

Taylor is a Senior at Hofstra University with a major in Journalism and a minor in Photography. She is from Nevada and is now having a wonderful time in New York!