6 Most Underrated Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Spring Break in college used to be a right of passage as a way to get totally drunk with your best friends, but these days it’s turned into something better, drinking included of course. Spring Break gives you the opportunity to do something that you’ve never been able to do or go somewhere you’ve never gone before in one week or less. It’s the perfect opportunity to explore the country and even the world. Here are my six best underrated Spring Break destinations you should check out!

1. Myrtle Beach, SC

This might be me being a little bias, but Myrtle Beach is one of the best places, period. Every summer for as long as I can remember that’s where my family and I have gone on vacation, occasionally going at various times during the year for golf or a girl’s weekend. Sure it can be touristy at times during the summer, but going off peak is when it’s at its best. There’s plenty of golf to keep your guy busy and numerous mini golf places for picturesque dates. What gets met the most about MB is not only how much Southern Hospitality comes into play, but the beaches. South Carolina’s motto is “Smiling Faces. Beautiful Places” for a reason.

2. Austin, TX

Just because it’s Spring Break it doesn’t mean that you have to go to the beach. Austin is one of those cities filled with history, culture, music and great food and people. With plenty of low-key hang outs, Austin is an up and coming Spring Break destination.

3. Vancouver, British Columbia

By far one of the most beautiful places in North America, Vancouver is definitely the place to go to explore your wild side. There’s plenty of bars and clubs for city people and a few miles in any direction will take you into woodsy Canada where there are plenty of activities like snowboarding, boating, hiking and bungee jumping. This is a must stop Spring Break destination if you love nature!

4. San Diego, CA

I visited my friend who goes to UCSD a couple of years ago for the weekend and I absolutely feel in love with San Diego. From the surf to the bars to the boys, who needs to go to the Caribbean for an exotic vacation when you can just go here?

5. Lake Tahoe, CA

I’ve never been to Lake Tahoe, but all of my friends from Northern California and Oregon keep telling me it’s the place to go. It has that rustic feel of a summer camp but in a luxurious sense. From crystal clear lakes and rocky “beaches” Tahoe is the place to go if you want to explore and participate in outdoorsy activities like paddle boarding, hiking and camping.

6. Key West, FL

Miami is kind of like a big brother to Key West. People tend to flock to what’s been established as the hottest destination for decades. Key West, however, is putting up a fight against Miami as a hot new destination for Spring Break. Feeling like you’re in Bahamas or Aruba with clear blue and green water and activities like swimming with dolphins, snorkeling and fishing, there’s plenty to do here for anybody. 

Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.