Style > Beauty

6 Korean Beauty Products You Should Already Be Using

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Korean beauty products have had a long relationship with American consumers; going from a fascinating trend seen amongst beauty bloggers, all the way to a staple that can be found in your local drugstore. Many U.S. based brands have even begun mimicking popular products in hopes of competing with Korean brands, whose effectiveness combined with low price point was long unmatched by American retailers. 

Having struggled with my skin since my teenage years, I was drawn to the movement’s focus on powerful ingredients that work together to create healthy skin overall, rather than simply targeting problem areas. Since I’ve embraced K-Beauty, I’ve never looked back. While I’ll always be chasing better skin, these brands have gotten me closer than I thought possible for myself.

This is a list of tried and true favorite Korean beauty products that over the years have become absolute staples in my routine, and should be a part of yours too. 

COSRX Snail Mucin Power Essence

If I ever were to claim something is a “holy grail” product, this is it. Snail mucin may seem like the last thing you’d want to slather all over your face, but once you get over your misconceptions, you’ll find it’s an incredible multitasking ingredient. Like vitamins for your skin, this essence with 96% snail secretion filtrate hydrates and repairs damage to your skin, from acne scars to hyperpigmentation. No matter what type of skin you have, this product will transform it for the better.

Banila Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm

One of the most important rules of K-Beauty is the double cleanse. Rather than immediately reaching for your face soap, you should rid your face of any makeup or dirt from the day by using an oil based cleanser, so that your second cleanse is effective. This cult favorite makeup-melting balm thoroughly cleanses your skin without stripping it of its natural oils, and contains natural exfoliating and brightening agents.

Acwell Licorice pH Balancing Cleansing Toner

Toners are a post-cleanser step that prepare your skin for the rest of your routine, but I’ve found most of the ones I try to be too stripping and dehydrating. My skin adores this toner from Acwell, which has a pH of 5.5 and perfectly balances my skin before I apply other products. With peony and green tea extracts as well as licorice water, this toner hydrates, calms inflammation, and removes any remaining impurities. Licorice may be controversial in food, but it’s universal in skincare, and perfect for all skin types.

Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin C Drop

I waited a long time to incorporate a Vitamin C product into my regimen, since my skin is so sensitive when it comes to active ingredients. This serum from Klairs has 5% Vitamin C: enough to be effective, but gentle enough for my reaction-prone skin. If you’ve already got a basic skincare routine down, this is a perfect product for upgrading to an advanced routine. This antioxidant provides anti-aging protection, and brightens dark spots to acheive a more even skin tone.

Mediheal Sheet Masks

No K-Beauty product list would be complete without a sheet mask. Not only do they deliver a high concentration of ingredients into your skin, but applying one at the beginning or end of the day is a nice self-care ritual that can be quite relaxing. I love Mediheal’s line of sheet masks: they have the feel of a luxury mask, but are very reasonably priced. They offer a variety of options for different skin concerns, but my favorite is the N.M.F Intensive Hydrating Mask, which leaves my skin feeling supple but not oily thanks to its hyaluronic acid-based formula.

COSRX Good Morning Cleanser

Finishing out this list with another COSRX product, because they’re just that good. I’ve relied on this cleanser for years now, and no matter what my skin is going through, I know I can count on its gentle gel formula and low pH to clean my skin without any irritation. And despite its natural botanical ingredients, I can also count on it to not break the bank.

Korean beauty products have not only transformed my skin, but they’ve changed the way I view and treat my skin entirely. If you’re not already taking advantage of the amazing K-Beauty products on the market, allow this list to be your guide to the best products to start with!

Kay is an English Lit major and Journalism minor at Hofstra University. She is the instagram editor of HC Hofstra, as well as a contributing writer. When she's not geeking out over 19th century novels, Kay is a lover of red lipstick, broadway shows, and aesthetic restaurant branding.