This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With every new season comes a new opportunity to change up your look, especially your hair. As temperatures keep rising, playing around with your hair color is the perfect way to keep you looking cool this summer. The beauty in coloring your locks lies in the ability to adapt every color to your individual hair, making each look unique to you! And, who wouldn’t want to spend time in a cool, relaxing salon getting pampered every six weeks? Here are six hair colors worth trying this summer:

Bayalage

French for “sweep” or “paint,” bayalage is the result of hair coloration with soft lines that create a natural, sun-kissed look. Rather than splurging on harsh highlights, getting a bayalage coloring will give your hair a soft, effortless glow that’s perfect under the summer sun.

Bright Auburn

Spice up your red hair by taking it a few shades lighter. Not only will it glisten during the day, but your hair will look like a gorgeous sunset IRL. Who wouldn’t want their hair to mimic the perfect dusk colors 24/7?  

Glossy Chocolate

For brunettes who want to add some excitement to their tresses, look no further than Kate Middleton for all of your #HairInspo. Her rich, glossy locks are perfect for summer and easy to mimic yourself. Deepening the russet color and getting some extra shine in your hair will catch the light everywhere you go, resulting in a glow that surrounds your face.

Creamy Blonde

Bright, blonde hair is one of the most classic summer hair colors. Give it a modern twist by trading the typical glossy sheen for a creamy matte blonde instead. To achieve the look, make sure all coloration and highlights are smoothly blended from the roots, as seen on Jennifer Lawrence, to create the soft yet striking pigmented color.

Light Black

Black doesn’t have to be seen as a hue just for fall or winter. Choosing the lightest shade of black with hints of light brown or red highlights will draw attention to your hair. As the perfect color in between deep brunette and jet black, your hair will stand out in this unique shade.

Pastel

Nothing screams summer like pastel! For the collegiette daring enough to dye her entire head a new color, shades of pastel pink, green, purple and blue will show off your fun sense of style. Not only will you stand out in a crowd, but people will be in awe of your ability to pull off an unlikely hue in your hair.  

Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.