6 Christmas Movies You Need To Add To Your List ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The best part of the holiday months are arguably the wonderfully predictable romance movies that never cease to make your heart flutter and brighten the holidays. I could tell you the plot of nearly every Christmas movie I’ve watched: A small town girl moves to the big city; upon her return home for the holidays, she rediscovers the magic of Christmas and falls in love with the dashing man in town. Despite the predictability, I never fail to sit at the edge of my seat, hot cocoa in hand, watching to see when they finally share their first kiss.

There is no shame in loving these movies, which is why, I have compiled a list of my favorite films that I can and have watched on repeat all season long.  

Photo via @bymintowl on Unsplash

Santa Girl (2019)

Cassie Clause, the only daughter of Santa, wants nothing more than to experience the real world before she is forced into an arranged marriage to Jake Frost’s son and made the successor of the family business. What better way to relish her last year of freedom than by going to college?

Finally, a Christmas romance, where the leading love interest is not problematic, and college life is portrayed realistically. I have never seen another movie where a college dorm does not look like a luxury apartment. Starring Jennifer Stone (Harper from “Wizards of Waverly Place”) and Devon Werkheiser (Ned from “Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide”), you can relive your childhood while watching this new holiday movie.

A Star for Christmas (2012)

After breaking up with her boyfriend, Cassie, a small town baker, may think that her holiday season is on the decline. However, things begin to look up when a Christmas action movie begins filming in town, with a handsome follow playing the lead role. As with all good romance movies, Cassie can’t help falling for him when he is lying low in town, and is just a cute customer, but when his famous identity is uncovered, their relationship struggles to survive the drama of Hollywood.

This Lifetime movie is all you could ask for in a holiday movie, plus some added twists that will keep your eyes glued to the screen.

Let It Snow (2019)

When a small town is hit with a snowstorm of Christmas Eve, everyone’s Christmas plans are slightly derailed. Focusing on the intertwining stories of local high school students, this movie is a tale of love and friendship in unexpected ways that completely change the holiday for each and every one of them.

This popular Netflix movie lives up to all the hype. A cute adaptation connecting three short stories written by John Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle, this film gives you everything you could want in a holiday movie. . . even a miniature pig!

The Spirit of Christmas (2015)

Assigned to appraise and sell a haunted inn by the end of the year, Vermont lawyer Kate, spends her holiday working. Little does she know that the rumored ghost is particularly solid and charming. After mysteriously dying ninety-five years prior, Daniel returns to life ever December for the twelve days of Christmas. To set Daniel’s spirit free and end his haunting, Kate must uncover the reason for his murder and break the curse that binds him. The last thing that she expects is to fall in love.

What’s a holiday without a ghost or two? Think of the Christmas Carol combined with Twilight. It is the holiday twist that we all need in our lives.

Christmas Scavenger Hunt (2019)

Headed home for the holidays to celebrate her best friend’s engagement, Belinda is brought face to face with her past, particularly her ex, Dustin. Feelings get complicated when she is partnered with Dustin to compete in the town’s annual Christmas scavenger hunt.

This brand new Hallmark movie is a very traditional holiday romance, but it has hints of humor that make it impossible not to love.

The Knight Before Christmas (2019)

A medieval knight is transported to the twenty-first century, with the mission to fall in love. Falling into a small town in Ohio during the holiday season, Sir Cole befriends Brooke, a kind local who believes that he just has a head injury. As Brooke helps Cole adjust to the modern day, an unlikely romance buds between them.

With Vanessa Hudgens taking the leading role in this Netflix original, you will laugh along and fall in love.

There are so many other movies on the market, but these are bound to fill you with the holiday spirit. So grab a hot chocolate, wrap yourself up in a cozy blanket, and press play!

Cecilia is a double major in Publishing Studies and Writing Studies Major. Originally from Annapolis, Maryland, she has a small addiction to sweet tea and online shopping. On campus, she is a member of the Hofstra English Society, Working Title, Overbooked, and Her Campus (essentially all the English clubs). She is also a tour guide, a writing center tutor, and an intern at Simon & Schuster.