This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Hooray! Spring break is almost here. It is almost that time to relax, catch up with friends, and hopefully forget about school work for at least a week. Also, spring is such a great season. The flowers are starting to bloom, and being outside becomes enjoyable again. We get more hours of daylight meaning more sunshine and a chance to work outside instead of being trapped in our rooms. Everyone looks forward to spring break because usually it falls right after midterms. The week before is a stress fest, and then finally it’s time to kick back and relax. My form of relaxing always includes books. I personally can’t wait to have a week where my focus will be in a world far away. Many people always say they never have time to read, but having a week off is the perfect opportunity. Here are 6 books from my own collection that are ideal for spring break!

Before We Were Yours 

Genre: Historical Fiction

Published in 2017, Lisa Wingate’s latest novel is a big hit. The story jumps from the present to 1939 dealing with the lives of two different families: one rich and one poor. The novel is based on the true scandals involving adoption agencies kidnapping and selling poor children to wealthy families. I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new copy from a thrift store, and I am so excited to read this book. It also won the Goodreads Choice Award for best Historical Fiction in 2017. Check out the full summary here.

Not That I Could Tell

Genre: Thriller

This book is brand new! It’s not even out in stores yet, so I was able to snag my copy from my book of the month box. The book takes place in a small town where everyone supposedly knows something about everyone else. However, when a group of women meet up for a girls night, and one of them disappears the next Monday, the question of does anyone in the town really know anything, rises. I love reading thrillers, they always keep me on my toes, and this one is sure to be something you can’t put down. Check out the full summary here.

Without Merit

Genre: Contemporary/Romance 

Personally, I believe Colleen Hoover is the queen of romance writing. I have read three of her other books and have been able to finish them in one sitting. This one is her most recent one and it follows Merit Voss and the secrets her family forces her to keep. She unexpectedly runs into Sagan, the witty, idealist, who she realizes is unavailable. Merit finally decides that she is fed up with the lies and secrets, but are the consequences too much? If you’re looking for a fast paced romance novel that delves into deeper issues, then this book is perfect! It’s not surprising that this book won the Goodreads Choice Award for best romance novel of 2017. Check out the full summary here.

Scrappy Little Nobody

Genre: Autobiography/Memoir

I’ve had this book on my list for a while, and I still can’t wait to read it. It is a collection of personal experiences, memories, and lessons from the amazing Anna Kendrick. She’s not the first celebrity to write a memoir and she certainly won’t be the last. If the book is written in a similar way to how she tweets or talks at award shows, then it should be comedic gold. Scrappy Little Nobody follows Kendrick’s journey to becoming the successful actress she is today. This light read makes it easy to relax during spring break. Check out the full summary here.

Pillow Thoughts

Genre: Poetry

This cover is so simple, but also beautiful. I immediately had to add it to my list. I love poetry collections. Pillow Thoughts is the most recent poetry book on my shelves and it features topics such as heartbreak, love, and real emotions. Even though the book is short, the words are likely to resonate with you somehow. Poetry is so beautiful, so I am super ready to read this collection. Check out the full summary here.

Lock and Key

Genre: Young Adult Contemporary

As someone who is working their way through all of Sarah Dessen’s books, this one was the one I read most recently. It follows Ruby and the rocky family she has dealt with her whole life. Ruby keeps to herself and would rather be on her own than let people help her. Throughout the book, Ruby learns to let others in, while still staying true to her self. This book is filled with emotion, but also lighthearted moments that make it super easy to keep turning the pages. Check out the full summary here.

Since I’ve only read one of the books on this list, I look forward to having more time to dive into these page-turners. I love all of these genres and wanted to share some of my new purchases that I have not read yet. Spring break is approaching quickly, and these books are definitely on my list. These books are perfect for time off because they will help to pass the time. I know I’m looking forward to sleeping, spending time with friends, and, of course, reading. I hope these picks make it onto your reading list!

Cover Photo by Katherine Hanlon on Unsplash

I'm a Jersey girl who loves fashion! I also have a passion for reading and writing. I enjoy spending time with family and friends and love trying new things!