This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Ice, snow, and a faint scent of pine is in the air. In these early days of December, I can already feel the spirit of the holidays washing over me, the light at the end of my tunnel of final essays and exams. To get more into the spirit, to find that spark of joy in the midst of finals stress, here are five winter books that might take your mind off finals.

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Waitress meets the Ice Princess in this charming novel.

At one point or another, Hudson had her entire future planned out, and it was brighter than the lights that shone upon her. She was going to be a world famous figure skater, following the dream that she and her father shared her entire life. However, when her father’s infidelity tears apart her family, Hudson gives up all reminders of him, including her skating career.

Now, Hudson stays as far away from the ice, finding her sweet escape baking in

new home with icing sugar and cupcake batter. Baking for her mom’s dinner, Hudson gives up on the hope of ever having a second chance to return to the ice, until she is suddenly given another shot at a future outside of working for the dinner. Through in a cute hockey player and his co-captain, and you are in for a ride.

Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

You are likely familiar with this John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle novel because of the recent adaption Netflix release in November. However, as usual, the book is better than the movie, or at least in my humble opinion.

This novel intertwines three short stories revolving around an ill timed snow storm that falls upon Gracetown. The story begins when Jubilee (don’t worry it’s not in the movie) sets off into the storm after her train gets stranded, and from there, every event snowballs into an epic tale of risky shortcuts, stolen kisses, and a tea cup pig to melt your heart.

Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

From the bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist, here is your next winter read!

What would you do if you found a notebook of dares on the shelf of a bookstore? Well, for Dash, its barely even a thought.

Lily has filled her red notebook with challenges and dares and placed it on the shelf of her favorite bookstore with the intention that just the right person will pick it up and play along. When Dash finds the hidden gem, it spurs a trade of “dares, dreams and desires” as they pass the notebook back and forth across New York City. This meet-cute winter book will have you searching every bookshelf you come across for love and friendship.

Icing on the Lake by Catherine Clark

An easy breezy read for a cold December night. There really is no better way to sum up this quirky novel as the publisher, HarperTeen did:

“New Year’s Resolutions by Kirsten (with help from Crystal, Jones, and Emma)

1. Survive the month at my sister’s house. Survive my 3-yr-old nephew and crazy sister.

2. Learn to ice skate better. Or not fall down. Or just get a cuter skating outfit.

3. Find hockey-playing, winter-loving hottie. and invite him to the weekend cabin trip (aka “groundhog getaway”) with everyone.

Oh, sure. No problem.”

Winter Town by Stephen Edmond

Who says picture books are just for children? In this beautifully illustrated novel, you can read the age old tale of how opposites attract.

Childhood friends Evan and Lucy, are separated when Lucy moves away after her parents divorce. Every winter, they anticipate visiting each other, but this year, Lucy has changed completely. No longer the girl-next-door, Lucy has dyed her hair black, gotten a nose stud, and erased her smiles from before. That doesn’t change anything, Evan knows the old Lucy is still there, and is determined to bring her back.

Whether your celebrating a holiday or just embracing the winter months, these books will get your mind off of finals or entertain you during your travels. Happy Reading!

Cecilia is a double major in Publishing Studies and Writing Studies Major. Originally from Annapolis, Maryland, she has a small addiction to sweet tea and online shopping. On campus, she is a member of the Hofstra English Society, Working Title, Overbooked, and Her Campus (essentially all the English clubs). She is also a tour guide, a writing center tutor, and an intern at Simon & Schuster.