Style > Fashion

5 Ways to Style Green for St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The tradition of wearing green every year on St. Patrick’s Day has been around for centuries, but some find it hard to wear the festive color while still putting together a stylish outfit. If you’re searching for some more creative ways to style your green this year, here are a few ideas to try.

1) Make it casual with some Denim

What better way to celebrate the day than to go all out with a monochromatic look. Pair a lighter green top with some dark green pants or vice versa. Use patterns to differentiate the pieces of your outfit such as florals, stripes or gingham. These approaches are sure to stand out and show off your creativity when it comes to styling such a diverse color.

2) Create a Monochromatic Moment

Neutral tones such as browns, greys, and beiges really help the green stand out. A brown jacket over a green top and some black pants, or a grey top and with some green cargo pants with a matching grey sweatshirt create some perfect cute but more toned-down outfits. Beige corduroy pants and a green mock neck can help create a more business casual approach. Overall, using these colors to pair with green help to create an earthier vibe.

3) Use some Neutral tones

4) Black and White

This one’s a given, because black and white are universally known to go with anything. You can also pair black and white in a larger variety of ways. If your St. Patrick’s Day plans involve venturing out to the gym, a green workout top would pair great with some black leggings or biker shorts. If you’re looking for a look you can wear to the office, pair some black dress pants with a green blouse or throw on a dark green pantsuit with a white top underneath. Even black or white shoes with a matching undershirt can be paired with a green jumpsuit to create a comfier approach to rocking the green for the holiday.

5) Spice it up with Complimentary Colors

It may seem like pairing one color with another is odd, but it could end up creating an outfit you’ll love. When pairing colors with each other, the shade of those colors plays a very important role in the matter. Lighter green pairs well with pastel pinks, purples and blues. Darker greens work well with muted yellows and oranges. Whatever color you choose be sure to pick a shade of green that pairs the best for you.

Heather is an sophomore public relations & strategic communications major from Selden, NY. Her interests include music, pop culture, style and theater.