Wellness

5 Tips for Staying Productive During WFH (Work From Home)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to force many of us to do work for college classes, internships, and jobs at home, we have all had to find new ways to stay productive. Here are 5 of the best tips for working from home, and maintaining your mental health while doing so.

Create a routine – and stick to it

It may feel silly to wake up and get ready for the day when you are not leaving the house, but because you won’t be in your physical college or work environment, it is crucial to take steps to enter the work mindset. To help yourself do this, try modifying the routine that you stuck to while on campus or in the office. Get out of bed at the same time in the morning, get dressed, grab some coffee or breakfast, and help yourself transition into “work mode” in order to be as productive as possible. Sticking to a routine while at home for an indefinite period of time will help to create stability in your life and make you feel like you are in control.  

Take breaks throughout the day

It is just as important to give yourself time to eat, rest, and recharge while working from home as it is while on campus or in the office. For example, you might consider working for a few hours and then doing something active, like taking a walk or doing yoga. By giving yourself a set amount of time away from your computer or textbooks to do things you enjoy, you will feel more motivated and energized when you have to come back to work. 

Designate a specific space for work

In order to create some degree of separation between your work and the rest of your life, try to create a designated place—it could be the desk in your bedroom, the kitchen table, or a home office—that is only for work. This will help you to start to associate a certain place in your home with work and other places with recreation and rest. Additionally, let the other people living in your home know where and when you plan to do your work, and set boundaries so you are not interrupted during those times. 

Communicate

Since we are no longer able to see each other face-to-face, and many of us are separated by large geographic distances, it is necessary that we utilize all of the tools available to us—email, texting, Zoom—in order to stay in contact with professors, classmates, coworkers, and managers. Not only will hopping on a Zoom call or engaging in a quick phone call keep you informed and allow you to clarify any concerns you may have, it will also provide you with social interaction!

Cut yourself some slack

The coronavirus pandemic has jolted us all into an unprecedented way of life. Many of us have never experienced anything like the social distancing and stay-at-home orders that have become normal to us today. It is therefore understandable that we may struggle to adjust to the transition from face-to-face classes and work to doing everything entirely remotely. It is imperative that we remember that even though this situation is far from ideal, we are all trying our best to make it work. While we may not be as productive as we may have been in the past, by staying at home, we are helping to slow the spread of the coronavirus and make the jobs of healthcare workers a little bit easier. 

While it is important to try to maintain some sense of normalcy during this tragic situation, there are some days that it will not be possible. Allow yourself to stay in bed all day and to feel sad, depressed, or exhausted if you need to. But remember to lean on friends and family for support, practice self care, and remind yourself that this too shall pass. 

Antonia is a sophomore at Hofstra University studying political science and global studies. She is passionate about social justice and human rights, and hopes to work in public interest law in the future.