This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The next few weeks are often the toughest of the semester. With the temperature dropping and end-of-the-semester burnout kicking in, motivation is at an all-time low. Whether it be projects, papers or exams, finals can be an overwhelming time. Here are five tips for surviving the chaos that is finals week

1. Finding the Right Study Habits for You

There are tons of great tools and tricks to keep you on track for studying. However, trying to do them all is not going to work. It is important to cultivate habits that are beneficial to you. 

Time management skills are something that everyone can use, but finding the right tools to do so is key. Know yourself– Do you feel more prepared when you study for longer hours or shorter hours? Do you like to devote each day to one subject or study multiple at a time? Knowing the answers to these questions ahead of time will allow you to stick to habits that work. 

For those who struggle with time management, the Pomodoro method is a great technique for focus. This timer can be found online and cycles through periods of work followed by breaks. You can also add your tasks and choose between short or long breaks. It is a customizable method to boost efficiency on important tasks. 

There are plenty of tips for memory retention that can be especially useful now. At this point in the semester, it can be tough to remember the very beginning. Going back to old notes and rewriting them will help reintegrate the information back into your brain. Creating and using study guides and flashcards are also good ways to keep information organized and fresh.

Oftentimes, the end of the semester rolls around and the realization kicks in that some notes are not as thorough as you would have hoped. Secondary materials can be really helpful in this situation. There are tons of online resources that are reliable and can be used to fill in the gaps. Taking advantage of professors’ office hours and tutoring services through your university will also help. 

2. Create a Plan

Once you have your study habits down, it is time to create a plan. At any given time, you can be preparing for five or more exams– Maybe even papers, projects and presentations, as well. Either way, the workload is heavy and having a clear guide to how you will tackle it is essential.

It is time to break out the planner and block out your time. A helpful tactic is to plan out every little thing. Structuring your day before you tackle it allows you to know exactly when you have the time to study. Other responsibilities do not have to take a back seat, instead studying should just be worked into your daily routine. Online resources, like Google Calendar, can also be used for convenience. Classes will be ending, leaving that time free for the library. 

3. Find a Study Buddy

Finding the right study buddy comes back down to knowing yourself. Some people work better independently. Others enjoy a buddy or even a group. If you choose to study with someone, it is important to find someone who will motivate you instead of distracting you.

Studying with someone not only keeps you accountable but it also will help you to work out any topics that are confusing or unclear. You can even practice teaching each other the material to discover what you do and do not know. 

Once your plan is made, integrate times that you and your buddy or group will meet. Setting this into your schedule increases the likelihood of studying actually occurring. Find a quiet place and get to work.

4. Take Care of Your Body

Taking care of yourself during stressful periods is such an underrated tip. If your body is not feeling 100%, how can your mind? With this time of the year comes colds and illnesses. It is important to take proper precautions to keep yourself healthy.

Getting movement in between study sessions is another great way to take care of your body. Try going for a walk with a friend or engaging in your favorite workout. 

Mental health is just as important as physical health. Practicing mindfulness throughout your study routine will ensure that you do not burn out. Do not push yourself too hard, tell yourself that you are capable, and be proud of yourself and how far you have come regardless. 

5. Reward Yourself

Finally, having a reward to look forward to at the end of the semester will motivate you to keep pushing. This can be as big as a vacation or as small as your favorite coffee. This can even be implemented through your study routine. Extrinsic rewards work well for many, and it is a fun way to thank your mind for all the hard work it has done all semester long.

Finals week is stressful, but with proper preparation, it will be over before you know it. During this time it is important to keep yourself on track. Take care of yourself, and end the semester on a high note.

Kim Casey is a senior at Hofstra. She has a double major in Public Relations and Psychology. She is a member of the Hofstra Cheerleading team, PAD Hofstra and a Pure Barre instructor.