Life > Experiences

5 Things Around Hofstra to do With Your Friends While Staying Socially Distanced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Social isolation has definitely been a universal experience for the past seven months. At first, most of us weren’t going out at all, but as more and more research developed showing the effectiveness of masks and social distancing and with the summer months allowing for outside activities, it became a bit easier to socialize safely in small groups. As the cold creeps in, though, you may be wondering how you can keep hanging out with your friends without risking anyone’s health in the process. Luckily for you, we’ve created this comprehensive list of 5 socially distanced activities you can do around the Hofstra area with your friends this season.

Drive-In Movies

If you and your friends have cars, a drive-in movie is a great socially distanced hangout option for you. Long Island has been super ahead of the curve with starting up drive-ins since the pandemic started, so there’s plenty of options near Hofstra. One great example is the Adventureland drive-in showing of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre next Friday (October 23rd). There’s even a dine in option as well! Get ticket info here.

Thrifting

One thing we’ve really missed about going into the city is thrift shopping, but luckily there’s a great selection of thrift stores right here in Nassau County! Some of our favorites are the Savers on Hempstead Turnpike and MyUnique (one in Westbury and one in Levittown). Going thrifting is a great way to experience the fun of shopping while avoiding the large crowds you might find in places like a mall and saving some money. Put on your masks and go give your closet an update all while staying safe!

The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze

If you’re looking for something Halloween themed to do safely with your friends, look no further! After being an annual tradition in Sleepy Hollow, The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze has finally come to Long Island this year, and it’s only a 35-minute drive away from Hofstra! To experience this spectacle of lights, you must purchase your tickets ahead of time and make an appointment. This way, the light show stays safe for everyone. Click here for more information.

Pumpkin Picking

If the Great Jack O’lantern Blaze sounds like a bit too much, but you’re still looking for a fun and safe fall activity, then pumpkin picking is perfect for you. White Post Farms of Melville is a twenty minute drive and offers lots of activities such as pumpkin picking and a corn maze.

Tickets should ideally be booked before arrival, although there are a select number of walk-ins. If you’re looking for a more lowkey, possibly less crowded experience, Elwood Pumpkin and Christmas Tree Farm, which is a 25 minute drive from Hofstra, offers fresh off the vine pumpkin picking!

Workout Together

Finally, if you want a lowkey, one on one hangout with a friend, try the Fitness Center. Hofstra’s Fitness Center is reopening this week with scheduled time slots and strict social distancing, so you and your friend can book an appointment together and cheer each other on from six feet apart! Check here to see what times are available.

It’s definitely going to get harder to think of creative ways to hang out with your friends in a safe manner as the colder months hit, but we hope this list can be an idea inspiring jumping off point for you! Please remember to abide by any and all safety rules put in place when doing any of these activities, and most importantly don’t do anything if you’re feeling sick.

Gabby Luftschein is a junior at Hofstra University with a major in Film Studies and Productions and minors in Public Relations and Creative Writing. As her major might suggest, in her free time she enjoys watching movies and TV, and she also loves turning anything and everything into earrings for her jewelry business. She is super excited for her first year as Her Campus's Social Media Director!