Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Romance Novels by Black Authors to Get You in the Valentine’s Day Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Sex, love, dinner dates, ballgowns, impropriety… Bridgerton? No, romance novels. Set the mood for V-Day weekend with these steamy reads by Black authors. Rosé not included. 

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

A romantic comedy, the main character Chloe Brown wants to break out of her “nerdy,” comp-sci shell and experience ✨life✨. Enter tattooed bad-boy-next-door-neighbor Redford who’s ready to take her on his motorcycle and give her some adventure — and possibly love. 

Get it on ThriftBooks* for $14.59

Intercepted by Alexa Martin

This one’s a football love-story for all you Superbowl fans. Marlee Harper thought she scored a touchdown (heh) with her NFL-star boyfriend, but breaks it off when she finds out he’s been ~tackling~ other women. When new quarterback Gavin joins the team, though, things get a little fumble-y (okay that’s it). 

Get it on BetterWorldBooks for $5.28. 

Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann 

After Alice’s girlfriend dumps her when Alice confesses she’s asexual, Alice decides she’s done with dating. But when her new coworker Takumi joins her summer job at the library, she has to take a look at whether she’s ready for love again — and whether she’s willing to risk his understanding. 

Get it on ThriftBooks for $10.59.

This Is Kind of An Epic Love Story by Kacen Callender

Aspiring screenwriter Nathan Bird doesn’t believe in love or happy endings after losing his father but is faced with old feelings when he moves back home and meets up with best-friend-turned-girlfriend-turned-best-friend-again Florence, who’s set on finding him a fairytale romance. Will his childhood friend Oliver be the remedy to his broken heart? 

(P.S. – You’ll love this if you were into Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda)

Check it out on ThriftBooks for $7.49.

I Think I Might Love You by Christina C. Jones

Bad-girl meets good-guy in this first-in-series novella when Jaclyn Love sweeps up Kadan Davenport in her less-than-structured life. Unluckily for him, their small town makes it hard to avoid each other, especially when they can’t emotionally. 

I Think I Might Love You is also the first book in the Love Sisters Series, so beware the hook-age. 

Get it on Amazon for $7.99.

*We try to suggest sites that sell used books in order to reduce the environmental impact of the production of new books, but all books are also available on Amazon and the authors’ websites. 

Madison Mento is a senior at Hofstra University and is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Spanish and Photography. She is a writer, artist, activist, and avid ginger. She likes her coffee iced, her pizza hot, and anything to do with beauty. She is currently the Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra and loves the organization!