5 Reasons Why John Ambrose McClaren is a Better Love Interest than Peter K.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all know that Peter Kavinsky stole our hearts in the first installation of the Netflix adaptation of Jenny Han’s trilogy To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, but the follow up, P.S. I Still Love You, throws a new, even more dashing man into the mix. Aside from him being absolutely stunning, here are the five reasons why we’re team John Ambrose. 

He wrote Lara Jean a letter back

Not only did John Ambrose want to keep Lara Jean’s letter to have proof that someone liked him in middle school, but he also wrote her a letter back. While the others simply addressed the fact that they got them, he takes the time to write out a heartfelt recounting of their middle school days when they would read Harry Potter together in the treehouse. Instead of making her feel embarrassed for her feelings, he validated them by showing her his appreciation for the letter and for the time they spent together as kids.

He volunteers at a retirement home

There is nothing more attractive than a man who shows he cares about others. John Ambrose already showed us his intellectual side with his participation in Model UN, but now we see his sensitive side too. He even agrees to help Lara Jean plan the Star Ball for all of the retirees and hosts bingo events with them on weekends. 

He decided to dress up as a deviled egg

This one doesn’t need much of an explanation, but we love a man who puts thought into his costume.

He doesn’t sink to others’ levels

When Peter made a low blow about the fact that he used to have a stutter, John Ambrose didn’t take a shot back. He addressed the situation with maturity by expressing that the comment hurt and gives context for why the comment was out of line. This way, Peter recognizes what he said was wrong, and it doesn’t cause the tension between them to escalate.

He’s respectful of Lara Jean’s boundaries

When Lara Jean tells John Ambrose that she and Peter are no longer together, he doesn’t try to swoop in right away and get the girl. He asks instead if she’s okay, and he doesn’t make a move until he’s sure that that’s what Lara Jean wants too. 

Peter Kavinsky may have had the popular boy charm, but we all know that John Ambrose would make a better boyfriend. 

Junior English-Creative Writing Major at Hofstra University. Music and cat enthusiast.