5 Positive Things That Happened at Hofstra This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

This semester came second in strangeness only to being sent home two months early back in March. We all continued to adjust to online and hybrid classes, and we saw how oddly barren campus became as we tried our best to stay safe. Though it was definitely not the prime example of the college experience, this semester still brought Hofstra some things to celebrate. 

The Return of Sports

Though contests for our fall sports teams were unfortunately cancelled, our Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams returned to the courts this week for the beginning of non conference play. Women’s Basketball began their season with a victory over Army West Point, and the Men have their first game this weekend against Rutgers, where they hope to begin a season as strong as they ended in March, where they punched a ticket to March Madness days before NCAA called off the championship.

Perfect Campus Pride Index Score

Hofstra was awarded a perfect score of 5/5 on the Campus Pride Index, which shows the strides the university has taken to make the campus a welcoming and inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ students. This is an improvement from the previous score of 4.5, which is a testament to the amazing work done by Hofstra’s Office of Intercultural Engagement and Inclusion. A new development that helped Hofstra earn this score was the addition of personal pronouns to the Hofstra portal, which professors can see on their class rosters. Hofstra’s VP of Student Affairs Houston Dougharty says that even though Hofstra has earned the top score, there is still much work to be done and the university will continue to advocate for the LGBTQ+ community. 

No Locker for Racism

This semester the HU Athletics Diversity and Inclusion Committee introduced a new initiative named “No Locker for Racism”, in which members of Hofstra’s athletic teams and staff pledged to eliminate racism in college athletics. This initiative emphasizes that lessons learned inside the locker room should be carried out into the real world, and that it is a place where coaches and athletes can show that they are committed to anti-racism. Students and staff signed the pledge and participated in a No Locker for Racism Walk.

Sigma’cappella Competes in UpStagedAID

Hofstra’s oldest a cappella group, Sigma’cappella, competed in UpStagedAID this semester, the first virtual college a cappella championship. They entered the competition as the #3 seed for the northeast region and submitted their cover of “Creep” by Radiohead. Though they did not advance, their achievement is applaudable nonetheless. Bravo!

Hofstra Votes Live

Students of the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication broadcasted Hofstra Votes Live this semester, which included news leading up to the 2020 Presidential Election and a live broadcast of nationwide updates on election night. Over 150 students and faculty participated in this event that spanned platforms, from Facebook, to Youtube, to Hofstra’s radio station WRHU 88.7 FM. Students participated both remotely and in person to provide real-time news and updates regarding this historical election.

This year has been a whirlwind in every aspect of our lives. When things feel like too much, it is good to look back at some of the things we may have missed along the way.

Kristin is a junior at Hofstra with a Psychology major and Disability Studies minor. She is involved in HerCampus, National Alliance on Mental Illness, and the psychology club. She enjoys self-care, scary movies, and discovering new music.