nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Places To Volunteer This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Didn’t manage to snag the high-paying job (or unpaid internship) of your dreams for the summer of 2014? Or are you just looking to fulfill a new hobby? Either way, doing volunteer work is a great way to spend your time, and now that the weather’s warming up, there are more options than ever. Here are five places that are perfect for volunteering (and, bonus, look great on resumes!)

1. Your local library.

You could work with administrative or organizational duties. Or if you’re more of a people person, you could help host events—there are a lot of kid-friendly reading and writing programs, especially in the summer.

2. Animal rescue organizations.

HC Hofstra’s CC Rachel volunteering with a local shelter, Bobbi and the Strays

Whether you work with a big name like ASPCA or a small local shelter, you’ll look forward to volunteering every day. Sure, some days you’ll answer a lot of phone calls or clean a lot of cages, but you’ll also help animals get the attention they need and find loving homes for them.

3. Arts centers.

If you’re the artsy type, you have a lot of creative freedom in places like these, and there’s always something new going on. You can plan and set up events, create decorations or flyers, or even assist in teaching classes.

4. Summer camps.

This is another great gig if you’re good with kids, and camp counselors usually end up (willingly) coming back year after year! Bonus: some of these jobs are paid!

5. Botanical gardens.

Not every town has them, but if you have one nearby or are willing to travel, summer is an ideal time to volunteer. The nature lover in you will love learning and teaching about plant and animal life, and the beautiful environment couldn’t be further from a stuffy office job.

Emily Windram

Hofstra '15

Emily Windram is a passionate writer with experience in personal and business branding, creative writing, and communications. She graduated from Hofstra in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and History.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!