Style

5 Movie/TV Characters For Fall Fashion Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

In my opinion, fall is the best season for fashion. Throw on a comfy sweater, your favorite jeans and a pair of boots and you’re good to go! Most of us may look at the runway for the latest fashion trends, but why not look at your screen? Here are 5 characters from your favorite TV shows and movies that are the perfect fall fashion inspiration!

Lara Jean Covey, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”

If you’ve seen the movie “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” and said you didn’t love Lara Jean’s style, you’d be a liar. Her outfits are some of the cutest and most realistic representations of modern style for young adults. Her unique yet simplistic looks are perfect examples of how you can create an amazing style with easy to find items!

Some of my favorite looks for fall include her red coat ensemble from the final scene of the movie, her turtleneck and jean skirt she wears to drop Margot off at the airport, and her striped shirt and cardigan during Kitty’s revelation. With two more movies on the way, I can’t wait to see all of Lara Jean’s new looks!

Zoey Johnson, “Grown-ish”

What better place to look for college fashion inspiration than from a character on a show about college? Zoey from “Grown-ish” is a great style icon for those who are looking to shake up their wardrobe! Despite having more of a fashion budget than most college students, she creates her unique style by mixing both bold and classic items. Whether it’s a paint-splattered shirt or a yellow, puffy jacket; Zoey can rock it all!

Some of her most fall-worthy looks include a professional, plaid pantsuit, a cute graphic tee and scarf headband, as well as a leopard print blazer paired with a white shirt and pants. Let’s not forget how stylish the other ladies of “Grown-ish” are too!

Serena van der Woodsen, “Gossip Girl”

Most people would say that Blair Waldorf is the style icon of “Gossip Girl”, but let’s not sleep on Serena van der Woodsen’s amazing style! Compared to Blair, Serena’s style is more classic and neutral, but far from boring. Her use of classic pieces mixed with a variety of handbags and accessories makes her style memorable. For those of us looking for business casual outfits ideas, look no further than Serena!

Some of her best fall looks include numerous blazers and coats, scarves and high leather boots. Her iconic Grand Central Station outfit from the pilot episode remains stylish and timeless.

Cher Hororwitz, “Clueless”

“As if” Cher Horowitz wouldn’t be included on this list! With the resurgence of nineties fashion today, there’s no doubt that Cher’s iconic looks remain some of the best style inspiration of all time. Her preppy, modern style works great on its own, but can also be mixed with popular trends today. Cher proves that plaid will never go out of style.

Some of her best fall pieces include white blouses, berets, same-colored knee-high socks and heels, and as previously mentioned, anything plaid!

Sabrina Spellman, “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”

Once October rolls around, Halloween season has officially begun! Who better to look to for some spooky style inspiration than Sabrina Spellman! Despite “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” being set in the present-day, Sabrina’s style is very vintage. She transforms vintage pieces into modern, fashionable looks. Her darker color palette adds to the scary aesthetic of the show, but serves as the perfect colors for fall!

Some of her best fall fashion outfits include dresses/skirts with colored tights, leather jackets and ruffled blouses. She always finishes a look with her signature black headband!

Each of these awesome ladies’ signature styles can speak to anyone. Whether you’re more of a Zoey or more of a Cher; it can be fun to experiment and explore different areas of style! Fall is the perfect time to try out new looks or revamp old ones. These stylish characters are the essential fall fashion inspiration you’ve been looking for!​

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

Paige Strout is a senior journalism major and the Vice President of Hofstra University's Her Campus chapter. Since joining her freshman year, Paige has held the positions of Facebook, Instagram and Instagram Story Editor. She aspires to be an entertainment/fashion writer and hopes to one day become a Spice Girl.