This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Netflix has recently released some truly chilling documentaries, and these are the ones you should check out. 

Hostage to the Devil

This chilling documentary takes us through the true story of Father Malachi Martin, a priest who performed exorcisms.

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

Ted Bundy was one of America’s most famous serial killers. He was responsible for the murders of over thirty women before he was finally caught in 1978. Thirty years after his execution, this docuseries arises, piecing together footage and audio recordings of Bundy from when he was on death row. In this short series, viewers can get an insight into the mind of the infamous Ted Bundy.

Casting JonBenet

Twenty years after the murder of pageant girl JonBenet Ramsey, filmmakers explore the world’s most famous unsolved child-murder case and the several theories about what really happened to her.

Blackfish

This documentary is a different kind of chilling. Explore the incident surrounding Tilikum, the killer whale responsible for the death of three people while in captivity. This documentary uncovers the horrible abuse SeaWorld put its whales through, and why Tilikum became violent. 

Hiroshima: BBC History of World War II

Again, this is a different kind of chilling. This documentary about the horrific bombing of Hiroshima, Japan includes interviews with five Japanese eyewitnesses of the bombing. Recent talks of the potential of nuclear warfare in the news remind us of this horrible moment and show us what humanity is capable of. 

*shivers* 

Gabby is a Video/Television student at Hofstra University. She loves comedy and hopes to write and produce her own sitcom someday.