5 Halloween Movies that will Scare You into Next Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Everyone has a different favorite aspect of Halloween. Some people love dressing up and others love the candy. My favorite part of the Halloween season is the scary movies. Every year I sit down and watch new movies and some of my old favorites. So here are my top five scary movies for you guys to watch while eating all of that yummy candy. Warning: These movies are not ordered by scariness! Look up some of these movies before watching if you are new to scary movies. 

1. Scream (1996)

Scream is one of my favorite movies of all time. What I love about Scream is that it defined the masked killer and also placed a female as the lead. Sidney Prescott was one of the first strong female leads that I saw as a child. She was the one in the movie who was calling the shots and trying to figure things out, which is usually a role played by a man. What is also great about the masked killer aspect in Scream is that the movie leads you to think that anyone can be a killer. Also, if you love FP from CW’s Riverdale then you can see him (AKA Skeet Ulrich) in one of his best roles.

2. Get Out (2017)

What I love about Get Out is that it combines scary movie tropes with modern day social issues. The movie has scary moments but is definitely more creepy with the way the characters act. The real scary aspect is how the social issue of modern racism is used to define characters and motivate their actions throughout the film. It’s one of those scary movies that offer the scares but also makes you think once you leave the theater. Overall, a fantastic movie that everyone should see.

3. Halloween (1978)

A classic movie for Halloween is, of course, the 1978 original Halloween. It features everything you want to see: a masked killer, a strong female lead, and, of course, people getting chased. Laurie Strode was the original female baddie in scary movies and fights of Michael Myers and actually escapes. If you love this movie, you can see Jamie Lee Curtis reprise her role as Laurie Strode in the new Halloween movie that has come out!

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

I like to think of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a precursor to movies like Cabin In The Woods. Of course, you have the classic masked killer but with a serious upgrade: a chainsaw and a family of cannibals. If you like scary movies that follow a group of friends that are trying to defeat a masked maniac, then this is the movie for you. Be warned that this movie is extremely graphic so make sure you are prepared before watching.

5. Saw (2004)

If you’re looking for extremely graphic movies that uncover the human mind, then Saw is the movie for you. The whole franchise has been good as a whole, but the original movie is my favorite. In the movie, you really get to see humans struggle for survival even though there are no real means of escape. Also, I love the idea of an anonymous mastermind who is pulling the strings throughout the whole movie. This movie does feature extremely graphic scenes that are not for the average viewer, so be cautious when watching.

So there are my top ten scary movies that you need to watch this Halloween! Let us know in the comments below if you have any other suggestions for scary movies. 

*All gifs credited to giphy.com

I am a Video/Television and Film major with a Journalism Minor who is passionate about animals, movies, television, music, beaches and hiking. I enjoy spending time with my friends and going on adventures whether it is hiking or just taking a road trip.