party champagne confetti gold new years
party champagne confetti gold new years
Molly Longest / Her Campus

5 Fresh Resolutions if Yours is Always “Lose Weight”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s that time of the year (*ahem* that time of the worst year ever): New Year’s, meaning fresh starts, new beginnings and… weight loss? If you’re stuck in that ~basic~ resolution to “lose weight,” “workout,” or any of the above, maybe it’s time to try something new.

“Manifest Self Love”

Say it with us, “my New Year’s resolution is to manifest self-love.” Fluffy? Yes. Important? Double yes. You know the drill: affirmations to yourself in the mirror every morning, canceling that negative self-talk, switching up your self-deprecating humor for something ✨lighter✨, but this time actually sticking to it. Or, at least, one of them. 

“Eat What Brings My Body Joy”

That classic “weight loss” narrative usually brings to mind horrid images of kale, spinach, lettuce, anything green, ugly and gag-inducing. Focus, instead, on filling your body with food and nutrients that make you feel good, mentally and physically. Yes, the greens may not be fun, but there are so many great ways to eat nutrient-rich foods without the repulse. 

Oh, and BTW, our body feels joy with some Oreos every day, too. 

Pick a Non-Appearance-Related Goal.

Start your book. Apply for that job. Join a club. Open an Etsy shop for your Avatar-themed resin earrings. Whatever gives you that fulfilled feeling, pursue it. 

“Try Something Completely New”

Even if you’re bad at it, because that makes it the most fun. Whether it’s volunteering at an after-school program (safely, of course, because we’re still out here in a pandemic), chef-ing it up in the kitchen, or trying your hand at chess mastery (hey there, Queen’s Gambit), test yourself at something completely new to spark the fire in a side of you that you may not have known you had. 

“Deepen My Closest Relationships”

Find the people who you feel closest to, who you can be absolutely yourself around, and dig deeper into those relationships. No explanation needed.

2020 has been hard enough, so take 2021 to take it easy on yourself and gain what you need, instead of lose anything. Happy New Year 2021!

Madison Mento is a senior at Hofstra University and is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Spanish and Photography. She is a writer, artist, activist, and avid ginger. She likes her coffee iced, her pizza hot, and anything to do with beauty. She is currently the Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra and loves the organization!