5 Flattering Bathing Suits We Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

There are only a few weeks left in the semester and the beach is simply calling our names out. This is the time to hit up all of the new swimsuit sections at the stores, which are bursting with fun patterns and bright colors. Here are a few of the popular styles that are “in” right now. Nothing says summertime like a new bikini!

1. The Classic Triangle Bikini
This is a trend that will never go out of style! While the triangle bikini might not be the best pick for bustier girls, it is extremely suitable (no pun intended!) for A and B cups. There is little support, yet the triangular pieces are usually adjustable on the string. Also, this style has been around for forever, which means there are hundreds of fun patterns, ruffles, embellishments and other ways to make your bikini stand out amongst all the others on the beach!

2. The New Fringe Bikini
Fringe is definitely making a comeback! Popular in the late 60s and 70s, the material has a bohemian feel that is so chic right now. There is nothing more relaxed than lying out on the sand, so why not choose an outfit with the same vibe? Try an adorable fringe bikini in a bandeau style or one with straps. Check out this teal fringe bikini from Molly Brown Swimwear

3. The Not-So-Subtle One-Piece

Who says wearing a one-piece isn’t sexy? While one-pieces are great for covering up a little, and definitely more comfortable in the waves, they look nothing like their Speedo ancestors! Sexy new monokinis are being showcased this season and are unique with different cut outs and add-ons. One-pieces are also extremely convenient when doing anything active…playing beach volleyball, going water skiing in the lake, whatever your summer activity-of-choice is. (You are much less likely to accidentally flash the lifeguard!) Hit up Victoria Secret’s One-Piece and Monokini section for some cute choices that are sure to make a splash!

4. Retro is All the Rage
It is undeniable that vintage swimwear is making a comeback. Taking cues from celebrities and fashion icons like Marilyn Monroe, high-waisted bottoms and ruched tops are the new ways to make a statement on the beach. While the style is not only extremely flattering for the midsection, it also has a very playful, girlie vibe. Sneak a peek at this adorable retro, sailor bikini on Etsy.

5. And don’t Forget your Beach Accessories!
There is so much more to being a bathing beauty than just sporting a cute bathing suit (although that is a pretty standard item!). This season, it’s all about the accessories when you’re out on the beach or lounging by the pool. Find a cute new beach towel, or my personal favorite, a big floppy hat! And don’t forget to finish off your ensemble with an oversize beach bag to hold all your goodies—magazines, sunglasses and most importantly sunscreen!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!
Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!