Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

5 Essential Shows for Cozy Fall Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

For some, autumn may be synonymous with Spooky Season, aka the time of year when you absolutely want to scare your socks off. Here at Her Campus, although we can appreciate the chills a haunted hayride or unforgettable A24 horror flick can provide, we have an appreciation for the cozier side of fall: oversized sweaters, hot apple cider, fresh-baked pumpkin pies—you know the vibes. So, what are some comfort shows you can cozy up to while the leaves are turning? Keep reading to hear a few that we suggest giving a watch whenever you need that little extra fall spirit!

Warner Bros. Television
Gilmore Girls (2000)

Sorry, it’s a given! 

Gilmore Girls follows the lives of mother-daughter duo Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) and, well, Lorelai (better known as Rory) Gilmore (Alexis Bledel). Although the dramedy focuses on both the ups and downs of family relationships and boy troubles, you can’t help but feel absolutely at ease as the show is set in the picturesque New England town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. Whether it be from Star’s Hollow’s never-ending list of town festivals or Lorelai and Rory’s walks around the neighborhood, you will become so engulfed in the community that you will know basically every townsperson by name. Although Gilmore Girls does have episodes and even seasons primarily focused in winter, spring and summer, we just cannot help but feel that this show is fall to the core. Currently, all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls can be found on Netflix, alongside the show’s revival, Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life. 

Never Have I Ever (2020)

Never Have I Ever follows Devi Vishwakumar, an Indian American teenager dealing with the grief of losing her father just one year earlier. Based on that introductory sentence, you may think the Netflix original series could be depressing. Although sometimes the difficult emotions Devi and her friends/family struggle with can pluck the heartstrings, Never Have I Ever manages to be quick-witted and a relatively easy-watching experience. As much of the show is centered around Devi’s school life (starting with her first day of sophomore year in the pilot), the three season series absolutely oozes autumnal vibes. 

Only murders in the Building (2021)

OMITB is a murder dramedy following three strangers, Oliver Putnam (Martin Short), Charles Haden Savage (Steve Martin) and Mabel Mora (Selena Gomez), who have a shared interest in true-crime podcasts. After a harrowing death occurs in their Upper West Side apartment building, the three join forces under their combined suspicion of foul play and record their own crime podcast to document their investigation along the way. In the first episode of season two, Amy Schumer, playing herself, states “you made [murder] feel so cozy” in reference to the trio’s podcast. Famed movie and television critic Roger Ebert attributed the show’s coziness to “its warmth driven by the empathy it extends to all of its characters (including its murderers).” So, if you are looking for a classic but comforting who-done-it, look no further than this Hulu original.

One Tree Hill (2003)

If you are in search of a quintessential high school rivalry series, look no further than One Tree Hill. Brothers Lucas (Chad Michael Murray) and Nathan Scott (James Lafferty) grow up entirely different—Lucas, who was abandoned by the pair’s father at birth, is raised by a single mother, while Nathan is the star of their high school, having seemingly everything a teenager could desire. Things get messy when Lucas joins the Ravens, the school’s basketball team where Nathan is a star player. This nine-season series follows its characters past high school, providing its watchers with an excellent binge-worthy experience.

This Is Us (2016)

As it is Thanksgiving season, why not indulge in some family-oriented programs? This Is Us shares the unique story of Rebecca Pearson (Mandy Moore), Jack Pearson (Milo Ventimiglia) and their triplets–Kevin, Kate and Randall (various actors). The story follows the three children into their adult years, focusing on the ups and downs of topics like family life, careers and body image, amongst other things. It is a testament to coming-of-age chronicles, detailing the devastations, revelations and triumphs that typically come about with age and the support systems that keep us afloat. 

Grace Poster is a senior International Business major at Hofstra University. She aspires to one day work for one of her favorite fashion labels (yes, very Rachel Green-esque). When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found sipping a chai latte, enjoying the sun at a local beach, or online shopping, most likely all at once.