5 Curly Hair Problems and Easy Solutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

1. Problem: Frizzy hair. People with curly hair know that frizzy hair is the most unattractive type of hair. They also know that brushing it out will make hair look and feel about twenty times worse.

Solution: Investing in a leave in conditioner and/ or hair serum will reduce frizz dramatically and leave your hair soft and manageable.

2. Problem: Lack of hairstyles. It’s common to feel like there is no variety of hairstyles for curly hair and sometimes it feels easier to hide it by throwing it up in a messy bun, but there are alternatives to boring, everyday hairstyles.

Solution: One underrated hairstyle is braids which are easy and versatile. There are so many different types of braids out there now too, like the fishtail, French braid, and four strand braid. Braided headbands are also becoming popular. To do this, take a one inch strand of hair from directly behind your ear and braid it. You do the same on the other side of your head. Then you cross the two over the top of your head so it looks like a thick braided headband. Finally, bobby-pin the braid from the left side of your head near the right ear and vice versa.

3. Problem: Thick hair. Curly hair seems to be about a thousand times thicker than straight hair.

Solution: By adding layers to the hair, it will feel a lot less heavy and more manageable. Be careful to not go too short with the layers though because curly hair, like everyone knows, can sometimes get a little crazy looking when it’s short.

4. Problem: Products. It is always a struggle to find the right kind of shampoo and conditioner.

Solution: Typically, people with curly hair tend to get split ends easier and have drier hair. Many shampoos and conditioners with keratin will help keep hair hydrated. There are also many shampoo and conditioners out there that are specific to curly hair. Doing a leave-in conditioner treatment once in a while will also keep hair more hydrated and will repair damage.

5. Problem: Wanting what you don’t have. Being sick of curly hair and just wanting straight hair.  

Solution: Sometimes, mixing up the hairstyle, cut, or color isn’t enough when wanting a hair transformation and when you have curly hair you naturally want straight hair every once in a while. If you have curly hair and want to change it up and go straight, keratin hair treatments can do that for you. It is not a guarantee that it will completely remove all curl from the hair, but it will reduce the curl dramatically and leave hair feeling softer. Treatments can last anywhere from a few weeks to months depending on treatment and hair type.

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!