This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Halloweekend might be over, but spooky season doesn’t have to end on October 31st. Here’s five of our favorite cult classic horror movies to keep the Halloween atmosphere going all year round! 

“Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (1974) dir. Tobe Hopper

Often credited with starting the “final girl” trope in horror films, “Texas Chainsaw massacre” deals with themes of morality, class, and femininity that remain relevant to this day, all in one perfectly suspenseful slasher. At just one hour and 23 minutes, the movie is the perfect run time for a late night watch with friends.

“Carrie” (1976) dir. Brian De PalmaTitle

Adapted from Stephen King’s book by the same name, the original “Carrie” has created such iconic imagery in pop culture that we feel it’s a must watch on any movie buff’s list. The film is very character-driven, making the horror much more psychological as the watcher connect’s on an emotional level to the tortured titular character of Carrie White.

“The Shining” (1980) dir. Stanley Kubrick

Yet another Stephen King adaptation, “The Shining” is a movie that will make any viewer feel just as isolated as the central family. Another film that has inspired countless references in movies that followed it, “The Shining” showcases themes of generational trauma and the way that it is passed down through the years. Still being analyzed today, this is a film chock full of details that make the two and a half hour run time go by in a snap.  

“The Silence of the Lambs” (1991) dir. Jonathan Demme

Adapted from the Thomas Harris novel of the same name, “The Silence of the Lambs” begs the question: where does evil come from? Although some of the details have aged poorly, this overarching theme is a question that is still asked today, and the performances from Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins, for which they both won Academy Awards, are worth every minute of watch time. “The Silence of the Lambs” is also one of only three films ever to win the five major Oscar awards (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Original or Adapted Screenplay). 

“Scream” (1996) dir. Wes Craven

What would a classic horror list be without the original “Scream”? Known to have popularized the “three rules of horror”, “Scream” remains revolutionary for the way it broke the fourth walls of horror with such a meta screenplay. The film inspired a new generation of horror filmmakers, allowing them to interpret the genre in a fresh way. Today, a new reboot with some of the original cast members returning is slated to be released on January 14, 2022.

Our top five favorite cult classic horror movies are only the very beginning of what awaits in the horror genre, so why wait? Grab a bowl of popcorn and some friends and get to watching!  

Gabby Luftschein is a junior at Hofstra University with a major in Film Studies and Productions and minors in Public Relations and Creative Writing. As her major might suggest, in her free time she enjoys watching movies and TV, and she also loves turning anything and everything into earrings for her jewelry business. She is super excited for her first year as Her Campus's Social Media Director!