5 Best Things To Do On Long Island As It Gets Warmer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Winter is trying its best to hold on, but spring has sprung here on Long Island.  If you find yourself confused by the sudden influx of sunlight, never fear! Here are the best things you can do right here on the island as the weather starts to get warmer.

1. Go to the park

Now is the time to be outside! Get over those winter blues by getting active. Eisenhower Park is literally right down the road from Hofstra… hightail it over there and take your pick of fun activities. Mini golf, batting cages, even just a nice walk around the grounds… the list goes on and on.

2. Visit the arboretum

Did you know that Hofstra’s entire campus is a nationally recognized arboretum?

3. Take a vineyard tour

Now this one is only for those old enough to drink. The east end of Long Island is bonafide wine country! Make it a girls day with your ladies and check out one of the many vineyards the island has to offer. There’s Pindar, Palmer, Baiting Hollow, Sparkling Pointe, Lieb Cellars and Kontokosta… a wine lovers dream! Make sure to book in advance.

4. Go to the beach

It should be a given, but we are on an island collegiettes! The beach is just 15 minutes away from campus. Even if it’s not warm enough to take a dip in the ocean, the Long Beach Boardwalk has been restored after Superstorm Sandy. It’s a picture-perfect spot for a nice run, maybe even some rollerblading. The city of Long Beach has an awesome bar scene as well, great for us students looking for a fun night out!    If you can’t make it out to Long Beach, Freeport’s Nautical Mile is even closer to campus and just as cool.

5. Go out for ice cream

Marvel in Lido Beach is a Long Island staple, and for good reason. It’s got the best soft serve ice cream around! Not an ice cream fan? Try Ralph’s Italian Ices. They have shops all over the place. 

Brianna is a proud Long Islander finishing her graduate journalism degree here at Hofstra. The East Meadow native wears many hats on campus, including Assistant News Director at WRHU, Grad Assistant at the Center for Civic Engagement and of course Treasurer here at Her Campus Hofstra! Brianna is currently interning at Fox News. But until she can go set the journalism world on fire, she’ll just have to settle for planning adventures abroad, binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and commiserating about her beloved New York Jets. Follow her on Twitter at @BriannaBorresen!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!