4 Cold-Weather Outfits For College Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to wear something other than sweatpants to class, but it’s especially hard when the temperature drops and you get that cold-weather blues. It’s freezing outside, you’re tired, and you know that the winter wind is going to kick your butt on your walk to that dreaded 8 am class. When you’re cold, the last thing you want to be worrying about is regretting your outfit choice because you didn’t dress warm enough. So, to fix that issue, here are some easy and comfortable outfits to wear to class for those days where Jack Frost is nipping at more than just your nose.

***Note: not all links are to the exact products, but they’re all at least similar to the one I’m wearing.

Outfit #1: The Cozy Sweater Look

When I think of winter fashion essentials, the first thing that pops into my mind is big, cozy sweaters. Sweaters keep you super warm and they look good with just about anything. I paired my big sweater with some high waisted jeans and Chelsea boots. A tip that I have for staying warm and looking cute is to wear some tall socks with a cute pattern (like shown in the picture above). If you’re wearing low cut boots, they’ll poke out in that spot between the top of your boots and the bottom of your jeans, keeping you warmer. 

Shop this look: SweaterJeans, Shoes, and Socks 

Outfit #2: The Layering Look

A styling technique that’ll be your best friend in the winter is layering, especially if you live in an area where weather can be unpredictable. Layers are super useful on those days where the weather is crazy, and if you don’t have time to run back to your dorm, you’ll be thankful that you have those layers on. I love pairing a turtleneck or a t-shirt with a flannel or any kind of button-up shirt, like this chambray one pictured above.

Shop this look: SweaterJeansButton-Up, and Shoes 

Outfit #3: The Thigh-High Boots Look

Pants are typically seen as the only practical way to keep your legs warm in the winter, but that is definitely not true. I recently gave into the trend a purchased a pair of thigh high boots, and not only are they cute and versatile, but they keep your legs warm as well. I paired my thigh high boots with a denim skirt and a turtleneck sweater, but you can wear these boots with jeans or leggings as well. I also added some tights to add an extra layer of warmth. 

Shop this look: BootsSweater, and Skirt 

Outfit #4: The “WTF how is it allowed to be this cold” Look

This outfit is perfect for those days where you’re counting down the seconds until you’re back inside again because it’s that cold. Sometimes when the temperature drops, we can’t be bothered to be at our peak of chicness, and that’s okay; being warm sometimes takes precedence over looking like you just rocked a runway. When it comes to winter essentials, big blanket scarves are at the top of the list. Another personal favorite that stays consistent in my winter closet is fleece-lined leggings. I’m not an avid leggings-wearer, but these babies will save your legs on those windy, cold walks to class or wherever you’re going. My favorite leggings are from Nike, but they’re sold at many other stores, like H&M, for a much cheaper price. 

Shop this look: Scarf,  Long-Sleeved ShirtLeggings, and Shoes 

Madeline is a journalism major at Hofstra University, and is a writer for HC Hofstra. If you're looking for her, you can probably find her at an Anthropologie, the beach, or eating peanut butter out of the jar.