35 Things to Do When You’re Snowed In at Hofstra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

1.     Homework – Boring but you’ll be ahead of the game.

2.     Read that book you’ve been meaning to read but haven’t gotten to forever.

3.     Movie Marathon – Pick a theme like Adam Sandler, Best of the 90s, or Alfred Hitchcock Classics then get your friends together and watch all day.

4.     Exercise – Why not? Make use of the gym in your building (if you have one) or work in your room to some Blogilates videos

5.     Hold a Potluck – Invite all your friends to make something and then share with everyone.

6.     Bake – If you’ve got supplies now’s a great time to bake and then share.

7.     Card Games – Spit, Poker, Cards Against Humanity, Apples to Apples, and Utter Nonsense are all great ways to pass the time.

8.     Clean Your Room and Do Your Laundry

9.     Binge Watch A New Show – I recommend Orphan Black, The Man in the High Castle, and Veronica Mars.

10. Online Shopping – Treat yo’ self.

11. Throw A Spa Day  – Get friends together with face masks and nail polish and chill out together.

12. Go Out and Play! – Buy a sled in preparation. Make a snowman. Dive into a snow pile and make snow angels or make a fort!

13. Snow Photoshoot with Friends – I did this after Jonas and look how cute my friends are!

14. Order In – GrubHub and Seamless are your friends.

15. Offer to shovel people’s cars out for $5 – Someone was totally in the Alliance/Stuyvesant area doing this after Jonas and I thought it was GENIUS. You can borrow the shovel from your RA office and profit.

16. Gather your friends and play Heads Up!

17. Stock up on wine before hand and drink until you forget it’s snowing.

18. Play Monopoly or RISK. They will take all day.

19. Read HC Hofstra articles. See how far back you can go reading every single article.

20. Apply for internships. This is 100% what I would be doing if we had a snow day right now. My “to apply” list is WAY too long.

21. Make some new playlists on Spotify or 8tracks.

22. Sleep! Yay naps!

23. Organize your Spring Break plans. Escape in your planning to somewhere warmer.

24. Hide and Seek. I’ve never done this but I feel like hide and seek in a dorm building would be super fun.

25. Scavenger Hunt. Organize a scavenger hunt with your friends with things like photo with an RA, size 14 shoe, receipt from a Target and other obscure but findable things in a dorm building.

26. Listen to a Podcast: My tops are This American Life, Stuff You Missed In History Class, and Welcome To Nightvale.

27. Try some Pinterest DIYS – Check out HC Hofstra’s DIY board

28. Play video games

29. Watch the entirety of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries 

30. Try out some makeup/hair tutorials

31. Do yoga. You can find a bunch of videos to follow online.

32. Get some friends together and learn a dance routine – I recommend the Darrin’s Dancin Grooves video from the early 2000s that teaches you the video choreography to Britney Spears’s Crazy

33. Watch the 20 minute musical: 21 Chump Street 

34. Reorganize your room.

35. Paint your nails a fun color!

I'm a senior Theatre Arts Production major at Hofstra University. I'm almost always at rehearsal, reading plays, seeing plays, blogging about plays, or fangirling over plays. My likes include giraffes, Britney Spears, American history and coffee.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.