This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Need a new TV show to obsess about and binge? Try considering Freeform’s The Bold Type. Freeform has some iconic shows under its belt, such as The Fosters and Pretty Little LiarsThe Bold Type is one of its top tier shows on the network. Here are three reasons why you need to start watching.

The Setting

The Bold Type is set in New York City and follows the three main protagonists, Jane, Kat and Sutton, who work at a Cosmo-like magazine called “Scarlet.” Each of the characters works in three different aspects of the magazine: fashion, editorial, and social media. Combining all of these departments under the beautiful NYC streets make for very entertaining antics.

The Relationships 

Kat, Jane and Sutton are at the heart of the show, with their love for each other as best friends overcoming any obstacles they face. Not only is their friendship an important factor of the show, but also their relationship with Jacqueline Carlyle, the Editor-in-Chief, of “Scarlet.” The Bold Type eradicates the “bitch boss” stereotype with Carlyle and chooses to depict her as supportive and uplifting, rather than the “power-hungry woman” that most of society views women in power.

The Storylines

The show covers all types of issues faced in society today, from racism to sexual orientation to politics. The Bold Type goes out of its way to raise awareness for all different walks of life and aims to represent every kind of person possible. The show educates not only its characters but audiences as well, in a way that not a lot of shows do.

After four seasons, The Bold Type continues to be a show that strives to showcase all voices and topics that face people in the 21st Century. The Bold Type airs Tuesdays at 8 pm on Freeform, and previous episodes are available to binge-watch on Hulu.

Antonella is originally from Miami, Florida and is currently a senior english/publishing studies major at Hofstra University with a minor in public relations. She loves reading even with a never ending TBR pile, her adorable corgi Marble, and Ariana Grande. She hopes to land a job within the publishing industry when she graduates.