This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Being in college, I’m constantly looking for new ways to make my dorm more “homey.” I’m always walking into my friend’s rooms and admiring how cute their decorations are. Between countless Internet searches and tips from my friends I’ve figured out a few cute, and cheap, do-it-yourself wall decorations.

1. Clothesline Photos

I’m someone who loves to look at old pictures; my walls at home are covered with them. A cute and affordable way to incorporate that into your dorm is to hang them on a “clothesline”. Taking hemp and pushpins, you can string lines loosely across your wall. With the clothespins, you clip your photos along the hemp and you’ve got an adorable photo display. Depending on your preference, you can have rows and rows of photos on one wall, or lines of photos bordering your room. If you’re feeling creative you can even get colored clothespins, or dye them yourself using Rit liquid dye which is fairly cheap.

2. Crayon Melt Wall Art

I know we’ve all scrolled through our Tumblr dashboards or seen pictures on Instagram of crayon melts. These are adorable to add some color to your room and they’re not so hard to make. Using a blank canvas and crayons of choice, hot glue them in a line or a shape depending on what you want the outcome to be. Take your blow dryer and lightly heat the crayons in the direction you’d like the wax to melt. Once the wax begins to melt, you can stop and add decorations. One of the cutest crayon melts I’ve seen was a canvas with fake daises glued onto it, and different shades of green crayon melted as stems. It adds a pop of color to your room, and can be made into so many different creative designs.

3. Wooden Letter Art

These are so cute if you’re looking to make your space personal. These wooden letters come in all different fonts and sizes. You can use these letters to spell out your name, or write out your favorite quote. After you’ve decided what you want to hang across your wall, pick a color scheme. Using wooden letters and craft paint, you can decorate these letters or just paint them one solid color. Once they’re dry you can choose to hang them with command strips, or if allowed add ribbon to hang off a nail in the wall. 

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum. 
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!