3 DIY Brunch Options To Start Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

You’d be hard pressed to find a person who didn’t love brunch. It’s the perfect late morning (or early afternoon) meal for people who love food, but hate getting up early. Whether you’re focusing more on the “breakfast” or “lunch” half of the word, there are tons of options for you to try. Keep these DIY ideas in mind the next time you’re trying out your hostess skills:

1. Bacon

Image via Swinery Meats

Need I say more? …Okay, fine. There are lots of ways to branch out from just frying in a pan. It’s a versatile food, and works when paired with both salty and sweet ingredients. Since we’re focusing on brunch, why not take the sweet route? Try making candied bacon strips with brown sugar, cinnamon, or honey. Or combine them with other treats—sprinkle bits onto breakfast donuts, wrap them around cinnamon rolls, etc.

2. Salad

Image via Country Living

Vegetarians who just skipped over #1, this one’s for you. Salad is even more versatile, especially at an iffy time like brunch. You can stay with the breakfast theme and make sweet fruit salads (maybe sprinkled with coconut shavings?) or go green and serve up lots of leaves and veggies. Either way, you can make your own perfect recipe and feel refreshed and healthy as you do it. You won’t feel weighed down by the meal for the rest of the day either.

3. Mimosa bar!

Image via Betty Crocker

Your friends can put their own twists on the ultimate (and most socially acceptable) morning cocktail. Set out the usual bottles of champagne and/or wine, and then bring out bottles of labeled fruit juices. You and your guests can pour yourselves your own mixed drinks. You can also set out a bowl or two of fruit slices for garnishing… or just snacking.

Emily Windram

Hofstra '15

Emily Windram is a passionate writer with experience in personal and business branding, creative writing, and communications. She graduated from Hofstra in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and History.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!