22 Destinations to Visit in Western Massachusetts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Western Massachusetts; the forgotten half of the Red-Sox-loving, Dunkin-Donuts-filled wonder that is the bay state. While we love Boston and the cape, the western half is filled with adorable Gilmore Girl-esque small towns, gorgeous nature destinations and adventure around every corner. From the green hills of the Berkshires to the art and culture of downtown locations, Western Massachusetts is the best-undiscovered summer road trip location. If you decide to make your way there, check out some of these 20+ destinations.

Six Flags New England

One of the obvious must-sees is Six Flags, New England. Based in my hometown, Agawam, this is where everyone would hang out all summer when I was in high school. Most everyone I know, knows this place like the back of there hand and many have even worked there at some point. Six Flags New England has over 100 rides, shows, attractions and is home to New England’s largest water park, Hurricane Harbor. New in 2016, they restored the roller coaster that became Bizzaro in 2009 to its original Superman theme and added a 360-degree 3D virtual reality element.

Downtown Great Barrington

Compared to the tiny hill towns surrounding it, Great Barrington is the “big city” of the Southern Berkshires. There is a downtown with adorable brick-front shops and artist studios. One of my favorite locations is SoCo Creamery wich has gelato, sorbet and ice-cream made from scratch with fantastic flavors like autumn pumpkin and salted caramel. Another destination is the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center. For details on this season’s shows check out their website. Also niche reference, but if you know the song “Alice’s Restaurant” by Arlo Guthrie, parts of the story took place in GB.

Downtown Northampton

My personal favorite place to hangout and catch up with friends is Northampton because there are so many different things to do as an iconic local landmark. There is a cute department store that offers interesting t-shirts, clothes, posters and décor. It’s really a ‘you-have-to-go-there’ kind of place. It’s hard to explain but it’s fun and cool and they have great eclectic merchandise. Across the street you’ll find Thornes Marketplace whic is like a mini-mall of local retailers. It has more than 25 shops, including clothing and bookstores. Also in Thornes is Herell’s Ice Cream which has over 230 flavors all made in-store. My personal favorite is their homemade chocolate whipped cream. Not quite in downtown, but still in Northampton is Look Memorial Park where you can find gorgeous nature scenes and enjoy some attractions such as mini golf, bumper boats, pedal boats and a small steamer train. Look Park is the place to be for family fun.

Springfield Museums

In Springfield, the birthplace of Dr. Seuss, you’ll find some awesome museums. The Springfield Quadrangle has five world-class museums: the Michele & Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts, the George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, the Springfield Science Museum, the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum and the Museum of Springfield History. There is also the whimsical Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden. You can get into four museums for one admission. Also, the ideal destination for every WMass 4th grade field trip, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame where you can see more than 40,000 square feet of basketball history!

Art Museums

The area has some great art museums. First is the Norman Rockwell Museum, set in the artist’s hometown of Stockbridge. The museum holds the world’s largest and most significant collection of original Rockwell art. Another great museum is Mass MOCA (The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art). Located on a restored 19th-century factory campus, MASS MoCA is the largest center for contemporary arts in the country. It’s always changing and it’s always interesting.

Historical Locations

The history of Massachusetts goes back to the Plymouth Bay Colony and Massachusetts Bay Colony. One of the greatest historical locations in Western Massachusetts is historic Deerfield. An authentic, 18th-century New England settlement in the Connecticut River Valley with historic museums, houses and a collection of early American crafts, ceramic, furniture, textiles and metalwork. Another great museum is the Susan B. Anthony Birthplace in Adams, MA. Her birthplace, built in the early 1800s stands as a symbol of the women’s suffrage movement in the United States.

Natural Destinations

There is no shortage of nature destinations in Western Mass. One of the greats is Monument Mountain in the southern Berkshires. Each year, more than 20,000 visitors explore Squaw Peak. Another great destination is The Mowhawk Trail with 63 miles of New England’s natural beauty and historical sites, small shops, restaurants and more along the way. What was once a Native American trade route, the Mohawk Trail now serves as a touring road across state forests, parks and reservations. Lastly there is the Otis Resevoir. For a lot of people, this lake is the location of their weekend or summer home. But there is also camping available. The lake is popular for boating, fishing, water skiing and more.

Outdoor Adventure

Another great activity in the area includes outdoor adventure activities offered by several adventure-oriented places. Ramblewild is a spot with trails winding through a thick forest and a 10+ acre aerial park. At Ramblewild, adventure is guaranteed. You can also go whitewater rafting and tubing around here. I’ve gone tubing down the Deerfield River. It is a summer must-do. Crab Apple Whitewater offers several levels of trips in various locations with staff guides. Another great company is Zoar Outdoor, which offers whitewater rafting, zip line canopy tours, kayaking, biking and rock climbing at its adventure resort on the Deerfield River.

My Personal Favorite

A weird but awesome favorite of mine is the Yankee Candle Village. Housed down the road from THE Yankee Candle Factory, which produces the over 200 iconic candle scents, the village has more in store than just candles. Filled with classic New England charm, there is a great restaurant on site, various non-candle areas to shop and a cute toy-store. You can even make your own candles. I don’t know if other people love this place as much as I do, but I think it is honestly the coolest.

Checkout this Buzzfeed list for more WMass content.

I'm a senior Theatre Arts Production major at Hofstra University. I'm almost always at rehearsal, reading plays, seeing plays, blogging about plays, or fangirling over plays. My likes include giraffes, Britney Spears, American history and coffee.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.