This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The 66th annual Grammy Awards was full of surprises – and we are still talking about them weeks later! Here’s everything you missed.

For the fourth year in a row, comedian Trevor Noah hosted the show, which took place on Sunday, Feb. 4 at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles. 

The 2024 Grammys earned 16.9 million viewers, a 34% increase from last year’s show, according to Variety. 

Dua Lipa kicked off the night by performing a mashup of her hit ‘Houdini’ and her newest song ‘Training Season,’ which was released on Feb. 15. Despite the great opening number, Lipa unfortunately walked home empty handed on Grammy night.

The first televised Grammy win of the night was for “Best Pop Solo Performance.” The category had five great female nominees, but Miley Cyrus ultimately took the win with her smash hit ‘Flowers.’ This marked Cyrus’ first Grammy win.

Later in the night Cyrus performed her Grammy-award winning song and ad-libbed, “I just won my first Grammy!” The winning didn’t end there for Cyrus. ‘Flowers’ won another Grammy later in the night for “Record Of The Year.”

Tracy Chapman returned to the Grammys stage earlier this month, and had her first public performance in over eight years. Alongside country-singer Luke Combs, the two sang a duet of “Fast Car.”

It was then time to announce the Grammy for “​​Best Música Urbana Album.” Karol G ultimately took home the award for her album Mañana Será Bonito. 

Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas then took the stage to sing their song from the motion picture – and 2023 blockbuster – Barbie, ‘What Was I Made For?’ Later on in the night, the song won the “Song Of The Year” Grammy. Additionally, before the televised show, it was revealed that Eilish’s song also won the Grammy for “Best Song Written For Visual Media.” 

Country-singer Lainey Wilson’s album Bell Bottom Country then won the “Best Country Album” Grammy, making the win Wilson’s first Grammy. 

SZA then entertained viewers with one of the best performances of the night – a mashup of her hits ‘Kill Bill’ and ‘Snooze.’ The singer had the most nominations at this year’s Grammys, a total of nine, and went home with three wins. She won “Best R&B Song” for her hit ‘Snooze,’ “Best Progressive R&B Album” for her album SOS, and won “Best Pop Duo/Group Performance” with Phoebe Bridgers for their song ‘Ghost in the Machine.’

Olivia Rodrigo then gave a beautiful performance of her Grammy-nominated song ‘Vampire.’ Rodrigo was nominated for six awards, but the singer unfortunately didn’t bring home any Grammys this year.

Victoria Monét won one of the highest honors of the night, “Best New Artist.” Monét also took home the Grammys for “Best R&B Album” and “Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical” for her album Jaquar II.

Taylor Swift was the talk of the night – and not just because she made Grammy history this year. When Swift accepted the Grammy for “Best Pop Vocal Album” for her album Midnights, Swift had a major announcement. The singer revealed that her brand new album The Tortured Poets Department would be released on April 19.

The most coveted Grammy – and final award of the evening – was Album Of The Year. This year, Taylor Swift, Janelle Monáe, Lana Del Rey, Miley Cyrus, Olivia Rodrigo, Boygenius, SZA, and Jon Batiste all competed for the highest honor. Ultimately, it was Swift who took the win for her album Midnights. With this win, Swift became the only artist to win the award four times.

2024 is already expected to be a great year for brand new music – meaning the competition at next year’s Grammys will definitely be intense! Who do you hope gets nominated next year?

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.