The 2020 Holiday Gift Guide for (Almost) Every Important Person In Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The holidays are fast approaching, and we all know that sometimes we love giving gifts, but hate brainstorming them. Most gift guides are broken down by the type of person you are buying for, so we decided to break this gift guide down by the type of gift so it can apply this guide more fluidly to every person in your life. This article is here to offer you the ultimate guide to buying, or making, the perfect gift for (almost) every single person in your life.  

The Sentimental Gift

Sentimental gifts are pretty much perfect for anyone you know loves receiving things that are personalized to them, or to the experiences shared by the two of you. These gifts are perfect if you are crafty or artsy because they can consist of hand-made jewelry crafted with the person’s favorite color, favorite beads or favorite rocks and stones.

If you can paint, painting or commissioning a photo of the two of you together, or a photo from one of your favorite memories together is another great idea. You could also simplify the design by painting a symbol of that memory or something the two of you share.     

The Thoughtful Gift 

Thoughtful gifts can be similar to sentimental gifts, but they tend to be more catered to the person’s needs or wants rather than memories you two share, although it could be based on that as well. If you are one of those people that remembers very small details about people, this is where you can excel in gift giving. Do you remember this person’s favorite food? A book they might have mentioned wanting in passing? Do they love to bake?

Focus on the things that you remember about them and buy something based off of that. These types of gifts are usually the ones that are for the people that don’t really need anything but could use something sweet or cute in their life. If none of these ideas work, you could also get them an experience gift, which is always a great and thoughtful gift idea.   

The Practical Gift

The practical gift sounds almost exactly how it is described. It is pretty much anything that someone might need, have run out of or simply something they don’t already have but would make their life much easier. These gifts are practically fool-proof, because they are based on what the person already needs, so there is practically no way to go wrong. Makeup, skincare, tools of any sort and things along these lines are perfect gifts for this category. 

The Useful Gift

Much like the practical gift, the useful gift is something that someone might not already have that would make their life so much easier. Although unlike the practical gift, this is probably not something they would need but could be helpful to them.

If you have friends who are musicians or artists getting them new paint supplies or brushes could be an example of this. If your friends love to make crafts you could pick them out craft supplies they probably would not buy for themselves. Another great example of useful gifts this year in particular is getting friends and family cute masks off of Etsy. 

The Extravagant Gift

The final gift type is the extravagant gift, which is always a great choice if the person you are buying for is the type of person you know loves nice things. Although this gift type is the extravagant gift, that doesn’t mean it has to be expensive.

Thrift stores have great selections of antique jewelry holders or fancy dishware that are perfect for this type of gift. Dollar stores sell bath bombs and facemasks that are perfect for an at-home spa day gift or places like Etsy and Target sell candles and lotions that are perfect for spoiling your friends and family.

Hopefully, this gift guide gave some tips to make your 2020 holiday gift giving experience less stressful. When in doubt, giving someone something that is heartfelt or meaningful to the both of you is always a great way to go. Have fun and be creative with your gift ideas and don’t forget that the holidays aren’t all about gift giving. Sometimes, the best gifts that you can give someone are the experiences you two create together.

Allie is a sophomore Public Relations major with a minor in Drama. Her list of current obsessions includes, but is certainly not limited to; coffee, fashion, pet pictures, and Phoebe Bridgers' entire discography. When she is not singing or playing guitar there is a good chance she can be found at the thrift store or at Trader Joes. Follow her on instagram to see what she is up to outside of Her Campus Hofstra! @alliemillette