20 Things I Have Learned in 20 Years of Life

This past Saturday, May 11th, I was confronted with the closing of my second year of adulthood and the end of my teenage years. At this significant milestone, I realized how much I have lived through, and how much I have grown and learned over the span of my life. Upon this realization, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on a few things I have learned up until this point. Here are 20 things I have learned in 20 years of living (plus some fun pictures all taken by me!):

1. Always be kind first, nothing else is worth it.

2. Listen to yourself, trust your gut.

3. It’s okay to change your passions and interests, it doesn’t change your identity.

4. Never pay full price for anything - going straight to the sale rack or thrifting is where it’s at.

5. Drink lots of water (like obviously, but still).

6. The New York CIty Public Transportation System. Trust me, this is an accomplishment.

7. Few things are as powerful as live music.

8. How to travel without my parents (even to other countries!)

9. The importance of healthy and effective communication, something the world could use a little more of.

10. Be passionate about the things you care about, and show it.

11. Write things down, you are going to want to look back and remember who you were at the time you wrote it (same goes for taking pictures).

12. It’s okay to make mistakes, but own up to them and don’t make excuses. Then learn from them.

13. How powerful a community can be when it comes together.

14. Everyone has their own paths in life, you don’t have to agree with it for it to be right for someone else.

15. Stand up for what you believe, nothing is going to change if you don't change it.

16. Don’t turn down opportunities out of fear

17. It’s okay for your mom to be right, usually she is.

18. Be a supportive friend, and be friends with those that support you.

19. Time is precious, don’t waste it.

20. Always stay adventurous, silly and curious.

I hope you learned something from my experiences, and hopefully the next 20 years come with even more important lessons.