This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

When life gets extra busy sometimes it can be difficult to take a step back and reflect on the good in your life. Between internships, classes, exams and everything else college students worry about, our brain is overwhelmed with jumping between “how much coffee is too much?” or “when was that due again?” and “Should I sleep or shower or eat?” So often we forget to be grateful for mimosas and brunch, Taco Tuesday and girls night in and we need to slow down for a minute and reflect on just how lucky we are to be living the dream.

Image via Pexels.com

Before you say you don’t have the time, remember that being more grateful and practicing gratitude is scientifically proven to make us happier, healthier and more successful in college and in life so taking the time now will lead to a better life later (your future self will thank you). 

Image via Pexels.com

We have found some easy ways to show more gratitude and help you become the most successful person you can be:

• Say please and thank you.
  • Shower people in compliments. 
  • Make a list of what you are grateful for.
  • Volunteer your time.
  • Be an active listener.
  • Make eye contact.
  • Give hugs.
  • Do random acts of kindness.
  • Give a bigger tip.
  • Pay for someone’s meal.
  • Write thank you notes.
  • Treat a loved one to a spa day.
  • Call your grandparents or parents,
  • Pay people in $2 bills.
  • Give your leftovers to the homeless.  
  • Donate your extra clothing to charity.
  • Open doors for people.
  • Stop to help someone with car trouble.
  •  Buy lottery tickets and give them to random people.

Image via Pexels.com 

There are so many benefits to being more grateful, and this list is just the start of all the things you can do to show more gratitude. Having good manners can lead to more friends, being more grateful leads to a healthier lifestyle, gratitude reduces toxic feelings, it makes you more empathetic and less aggressive, being more grateful helps you sleep better and makes you feel better about yourself. By adding just a few of these habits to your daily life you can become a happier, healthier and more successful person.

Just a Midwest girl exploring the big city.