15 Struggles Every Long-Distance Friendship Faces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Best friends: they are there for you when you need a shoulder to cry on, a partner to laugh with or someone to rant to about your ridiculous chem test. But what happens when that person is on the other side of the country? With 2,837 miles separating me from my best friend, I have had to learn to adjust to a life without my person constantly by my side. Check out these 15 struggles that any long-distance friendship might face.

Being in Different Time Zones

You would think a 3-hour time difference wouldn’t be a big deal, but having to remember they are 3 hours behind, meaning they are most likely still sleeping when you wake up or they are just going out when you head to bed, makes having conversations a little difficult.

Having to Show Your Crush Through Social Media

It’s even worse when there are no good pictures of your crush. I promise they are cute, you just have to wait and see them in person!

Having To Watch Them Make New Friends

You knew it was going to happen, but it still hurts just as much. Then again, their new friends are pretty lucky to have your best friend in their life. As long as they don’t start calling them their best friend, everything is good.

Wanting to Facetime but the Wifi Connection is Awful

School wifi always prevents a good FaceTime session with your bff. “Poor Connection” has got to be your two least favorite words.

Seeing Something That Reminds You of Them and Feeling Sad

Whether it is a song or someone making a comment about something, once you get reminded of your best friend and realizing how far away they are, it only seems obvious that you’ll feel a little bit sad.

Making Sure All of Your New Friends Know Who They Are

It wouldn’t seem right that your college friends have no clue who your best friend is. And there’s nothing better than when your college friends get along with your best friend.

Having to Hug Them Through the Computer

All you want is to cuddle with your best friend, but the distance apart is too great so you have to settle for virtual hugs instead.

Coordinating Schedules to Talk

You’re busy, they’re busy and trying to get five minutes in for a phone call or FaceTime session seems nearly impossible. Luckily, there’s texting, but sometimes you just want to hear their voice.

Catching Them Up on Every Detail of Last Night

That cute guy talked to you and someone got in a fight and the only person you want to talk to in the morning is your best friend to catch them up on everything that happened. Bonus is that they already know who you’re talking about because you’ve told them about these people a million times.

Trying to Watch Your Shows Together

#TGIT nights in high school have turned into frantically texting each other as the newest episode of your favorite show airs on TV. Your fingers have never typed so fast.  

When it Hits You How Much You Miss Them

You’ll be thinking of a memory you two shared and then all of a sudden, a rush of sadness comes over you. You instantly text them telling them how much you miss and love them.

When Your Holiday Breaks Don’t Line Up

They have the month of December off while you are home for the month of January. It’s difficult when schools are on different schedules and you end up having only a two-week time span together.

Trying to Plan Trips to See Each Other

Especially for those living in different states, it is difficult to arrange trips to visit each other at school. From flight and living arrangements, to schedules coinciding, it’s hard finding time to see each other in your separate environments.  

Counting Down the Days Until You’re Reunited

When you finally do decide on a mutual date to see each other, you have the day marked on your calendar and you get more and more excited the closer it gets. Once you can count the days on one hand, the waiting becomes excruciating.

Feeling Happy as Heck When You Are Finally Reunited

There is no better feeling than when you finally get to see your person again, you just never want to let them go. The best part is,, it’s as if you guys were never apart because they are your best friend and that will never change.

Originally from Southern California and now living on Long Island! I am a self-declared sushi addict who enjoys good music and good people x (p.s. if anyone knows how to survive an east coast winter, please let me know!!)
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.