15 Movies to Look Forward to in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

This year is going to be an amazing year for movies. There are some that we have been so patiently waiting for sequels to, as well as some new ones that are going to make this year the best yet. If you already couldn’t tell, I’m a huge movie person. Here’s what you can’t miss!

1. A Wrinkle in Time- March 9th

A post shared by A Wrinkle In Time (@wrinkleintime) on

Disney is taking a new approach to their fairy tales with this movie. Starring Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Zach Galifianakis, and Chris Pine, this is sure to be a must-watch! After her father’s disappearance, Meg tries to figure out how to get him back. Using a fifth dimension, “wrinkling” time and help from some very interesting ladies, she hopes to become the light that can find him in the darkness.  

2. Tomb Raider – March 16th

A post shared by Tomb Raider (@tombraidermovie) on

Based on the best-selling video game, “Tomb Raider”, Laura Croft hopes to find what her father has been searching for his whole life. After being told he was dead, Croft finds a video from her him and sets out on a journey to finish what he started. The only way she can stop the genocide is to solve the puzzle.

3. Pacific Rim -March 23rd

Someone brought these horrible machines to their planet. There is only one way to handle the problem: take it into their own hands. Staring Scott Eastwood, John Boyega, and Charlie Day, how far will these kids go to stop the apocalypse that could end their whole world?

4. A Quiet Place – April 6th

A post shared by A Quiet Place (@aquietplacemovie) on

They can’t hunt you if they can’t hear you. I put this movie in here mainly because I am really interested on how they have made this movie compelling enough for people to stay for the whole thing. Emily Blunt and Jon Krasinski survive with the war by one rule: never make a sound. Through walking on sand, playing board games with cloth, and learning sign language to speak to each other, this family has truly made it so they never make a sound. What are they hiding from?

5. Rampage – April 20th

A post shared by Rampage (@rampagethemovie) on

The Rock has done it again! After befriending and sharing an unbreakable bond with a gorilla named George, Davis Okoye (Dwayne Johnson) continues to learn about his friend who is extremely intelligent. Unfortunately, George gets into a bit of trouble that mutates him into a large rampaging ape. Johnson, along with Jeffery Dean Morgan and Joe Manganiello, fight to get their world back from the giant animals; however, Johnson wants to save his friend.

6. Avengers: Infinity War – May 4th

A post shared by Avengers: Infinity War (@avengers) on

After waiting six long years, Marvel has finally made another Avengers movie! About four years after the second installment of Guardians of the Galaxy takes place and following the events of Captain America: Civil War, the Avengers are torn apart. But when Thanos comes to collect the Infinity stones, everyone must come to take down what could be the end of the world.  Everyone’s powers are truly put to the test in this film. The only question remaining is: who will win?

7. Life of the Party – May 11th

After being dumped by her husband, Melissa McCarthy goes back to college and manages to land in the same class as her daughter. Deanna (McCarthy) changes her name to Dee Rock to embrace campus freedom as well as frat boys “on her own terms”. This will be a movie to watch with the ladies and you are bound to be laughing the whole time.

8. Deadpool 2 – May 18th

A post shared by @deadpoolmovie on

It seems as if they are trying to keep Deadpool 2 a secret. With no official name, and no official trailer we don’t know to much about this sarcastic man dressed in red and black. However, we all know that this will be a must watch. Starring Ryan Reynolds, T.J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand, and more, we can only wonder what Marvel has in store.

9. Oceans 8 – June 8th

A post shared by Ocean’s 8 (@oceans8movie) on

Oceans takes on a new look and this time, girls run the show. Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock) gets her crew together to pull an impossible heist in New York City at the yearly Met Gala. Starring Bullock, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina with Rihanna, and Helena Bonham Carter, these women aren’t people you want to mess with.

10. Incredibles 2 – June 15th

After many years of unresolved questions, Pixar has finally answered them with a teaser for the new Incredibles 2 movie! Baby Jack-Jack finally has his powers and while Superheros have taken a back seat in the last few years, Elastigirl and the rest of the team try and take the world back. However, Mr. Incredible struggles with the ultimate #DadLifeProblems because he is now in charge of Jack.

11. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again- July 20th

I don’t know about you but I am so excited for this movie! I have been waiting for a sequel since the last one came out 10 years ago. We have seen Sophie’s happy ending, but what we still don’t know is: who really is Sophie’s dad? In Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, we are taken on a journey through Donna’s life before Sophie came about. Starring Meryl Streep as Donna, Lily James as young Donna, Amanda Seyfried as Sophie, and Cher as Donna’s mom, will we finally learn who the real father is?

12. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – June 22nd

A post shared by Jurassic Park (@jurassic_park_) on

Chris Pratt takes a break from his role as Peter Quill in Guardians of the Galaxy to become Owen Grady in this new Jurassic film. Jurassic World faces extinction when the island’s once dormant volcano begins to rise again. Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard as Claire Dearing race to save as many dinosaurs as they can.

13. Hotel Transylvania 3 – July 13th

A post shared by Hotel Transylvania (@hotelt) on

14. Skyscraper – July 13th

A post shared by Skyscraper (@skyscrapermovie) on

The Rock has appeared in eight movies over the last three years, including the three he is set to be the star of in 2018. In this story of a man who was the FBI hostage team leader and U.S. war veteran, now assesses security for skyscrapers. While on an assignment in China, Johnson finds that he has been set up and his family has been taken and is being held hostage in one of the most secure buildings in the world. What will he do?

15. Aquaman – December 21st

A post shared by Aquaman (@aquamanmovie2018) on

We first saw this interesting character in other Marvel movies, but, mainly, in the 2017 Justice League movie where Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman team up to bring back Superman and destroy the villain named Steppenwolf. D.C Comics are finally giving Aquaman his time in the light. However no trailer has been released and no plot has yet been leaked.

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.