Wellness > Sex + Relationships

13 Underrated Songs for Your Sex (*ahem* “fun”) Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Someone’s music taste is a good way to get to know their personality, their wants, and their inner emotions. Sometimes though, the music someone puts on can simply indicate that they want to make out (In a COVID-friendly manner, of course). Crafting the perfect intimate playlist can be hard, so here is a list of a few songs to get your playlist started off right!  

“All Night” by Beyoncé

This song is beautiful for many reasons. The first is, Beyoncé’s vocal tracks are very honest and slow; paired with the simple instrumental in the background, this makes it an endearing, intimate, and sensual song. Different parts in the song also feel more playful, adding sweetness and personality to any kind of moment. 

“Bittersweet” by Lianne la Havas

This song is perfect. If this playlist had to have only one song, this would be it. It’s jazzy, melodic, interesting and cool to the ear. Lianne La Havas’s vocals are smooth and low. Everything about this song sets the vibe for you and your person. 

“Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You by Lauryn Hill”

For a more long-term partner, playing this song is a perfect way to simply say “I love you” through the music you chose. It has adoring lyrics that create a giddy and loving feeling in its listeners.

“Lingerie” by Lizzo

Not only does this song exude sexy through its instrumentals, but its lyrics focus on feeling sexy. Waiting for your partner, sitting pretty and feeling good about yourself! 

“Doves In The Wind” (duh) by SZA

To be honest, shuffling all of SZA’s discography works too. Doves in the Wind is in this playlist for the fact that Kendrick Lamar’s lyric adds that conversation between two people, and the interest of multiple perspectives and voices on the topic of sex. 

Fangs by Matt Champion

This song is so lyrically detailed yet allows for it to be a universally relatable song about thinking about your partner and the features and memories about them you appreciate (and maybe even obsess over). 

Yah/Element (Medley) by Joy Crookes

Joy Crookes combines two Kendrick Lamar songs (“Yah” and “Element”) to a piano and saxophone heavy lo-fi dream. 

Self-Control by Frank Ocean

Shuffling Blonde works the same way SZA’s music does. Lyrically, the song is a bit sad (as Frank Ocean songs tend to be from time to time). However, the melodic strumming of the guitar and the story of two lovers who had the timing off, may make you hold yours just a little bit tighter.

Surgeon by St Vincent

This song paints images of summertime and getting to really know someone on an intimate level (hence the lyrics “come cut me open”). All around an amazing song to add to your playlist. 

Oh no! by Rejjie Snow and Dana Williams

Dana William’s intro is hauntingly beautiful, and Rejjie Snow’s voice over the beat is smooth; this again brings in that element of conversation and different voices that “Doves in the Wind” has. 

Poetic Justice by Kendrick Lamar

Steamy. Very much so. 

Often by the Weeknd

I mean, the Weeknd was on the Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack. “Often” has a classic, universal feel to it–for the most part, everyone can be drawn in by his voice and the instrumentals, and stay for the suggestive lyrics. 

Flight 22 by Kali Uchis

This song is about wanting to be with your partner no matter the situation. The whole song is dreamy and fantastical; harps in the background, Uchis’s vocals, and the lyrics themselves will create a feeling of closeness between you and your partner. 

A good playlist helps reflect a mood; feel free to take these songs from this list and mix them up, take them out or pair them with other songs you think will create your perfect mood! 

I am a sophomore at Hofstra University. I'm really interested in everything entertainment industry-related, and social issues!