12 Signs You’re Ready to Get Engaged (Even Though You’re Still in College)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re reading this article, it’s probably safe to assume that you’ve recently made the decision to tie the knot with your current partner, or you’re at least thinking about it. While most college students are out hooking up at frat parties or finding one night stands by swiping right on Tinder, you’ve actually found the *one* — congratulations!

While getting engaged in college isn’t everyone’s dream, it’s yours, and that’s something worth celebrating. Whether you already have the ring on your finger or wondering when to pop the question, here’s a list of signs you can look for that will show you you’re ready for commitment.

1. You’re in a healthy, stable relationship.

College is the time when a lot of people are still figuring themselves out and sometimes that doesn’t lead to the world’s most amazing relationship. It’s important to be able to recognize a healthy relationship when you’re in one. There are no games, you have an amazing amount of respect for each other, and most importantly, you’re happy. Stable relationships are the foundations of great marriages.

2. You want to enjoy all of life’s curveballs together.

College graduation, your first *real* job interview, student loans, successes, failures, and everything in-between. You have to be willing and excited to share all of that with your current partner. Instead of hacking it on your own for a few years, you’ll have to be considerate of someone else, which is not always an easy thing to do.

3. You’re not afraid to stand up for your relationship.

When you get engaged in college, you have to be ready for other people’s opinions, even if you don’t want them. Some of your friends might tell you it’s too soon, your parents might question your motives, but it’s important to stand your ground. You know why you want to spend the rest of your life with your partner and that’s all that matters.

4. You bring out the best in each other.

This may sound a little cheesy, but it’s one of the most important things about a relationship. If your partner makes you a better person, that’s a sure sign that he is the one for you.

5. You’re happy that nothing is off limits.

When you and your partner are together, there’s nothing you can’t talk about and you love it! You can be honest about your aspirations in life, fears, past mistakes, future worries and so much more. You’re not afraid to cry and you know you’ll never be judged. You’re both open books!

6. You know your partner’s goals in life, and he knows yours.

Even though you’re still in college, you’re thinking long term. Maybe you’ve already started picking out wedding colors or putting away money for a future vacation together. Whenever you’re about to do something on your own you stop and think, “I wonder what my partner would think about this,” – You plan ahead for holidays, because you know you’ll be a couple for a long time.

7. You’ve talked about marriage and everything that comes along with it.

Buying a home together, having kids (or not!), splitting the holidays between different sides of the family, joint bank accounts, etc. Make sure you’re really into the idea of spending the rest of your life with someone. Don’t get married for the fancy dress and presents – get married because you don’t want to live without your partner!

8. You’ve never understood hookup culture or you’ve given that lifestyle up.

So many students love to spend their college years without a significant other. For most, it’s all about going to parties, having random one night stands, and not being tied down to one person. That lifestyle is definitely something you should have given up a long time ago if you’re thinking about marriage.

9. You enjoy even the most boring moments in your relationship.

Bring content with being in your partner’s company is key to any great marriage! You won’t always have something fun to do, so if you’re happy just being in your partner’s presence, maybe just sitting around watching Netflix, that’s a sure sign you’re ready to be together for the long run.

10. You know how to fight fair.

Every relationship has its fair share of arguments. The important thing is that you know how to handle them. Being able to agree to disagree, without holding any grudges, is so important when you’re thinking about spending the rest of your life with someone.

11. You’re each other’s biggest fans.

In other words, you’re each other’s cheerleader! Whether it’s going to a sporting event to watch your partner on the sidelines or helping them practice their answers for an upcoming interview, it’s important that you’re always supporting one another.

12. You are deeply, truly, undeniably in love with each other.

Love really does conquer all! If you love your partner with all of your heart, there’s no reason you shouldn’t consider marrying him. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just a college girl with a love of all animals, delicious food and *super* sappy love stories. You can probably find me in bed binge-watching crime shows on Netflix with a tub of Ben & Jerry's on hand. Phish Food, of course!HCHofstra Social Media Editor (Twitter) and Contributing Writer. Web Intern at Cosmopolitan.com, prev. Web and Features Intern at Marie Claire and The Fashion Foot.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.