11 Ways to Decorate Your Dorm for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The holidays are coming up! Some say it’s the best time of the year and we at HC Hofstra definitely have to agree. There’s nothing that quite matches the spirit in the air that comes only during the final month of the year. Here are a few ways to bring that spirit into your dorm room so that you can always be surrounded by the wonderful feeling of the holidays.

Credit:

Menorah

Similarly, you can buy a menorah from a department store for pretty cheap to keep in your dorm room so that you can keep track of the nights of Hanukah like you would back home

String Lights

Obviously, these are an amazing decoration all year round but in the weeks leading up to the holidays, they add a little extra spirit to your room.

Ornaments

Now you are probably thinking, “well if I am getting ornaments then I need to get a Christmas tree too,” but that’s where you are wrong! Ornaments on there own can be displayed in so many different ways, and are super cute no matter which way you chose. You can hook them on long pieces of string and tape them to the ceiling to create a hanging display above your head. You can put a variety of ornaments in a few clear containers just to add an accent to your room. Or if you have string lights as mentioned above, you could hang the ornaments from the string all around your room. The possibilities are endless!

Stockings

One of the coziest images from the holidays is stockings hanging over a fire. While a fireplace in your dorm room might break a few dorm room fire codes, that doesn’t mean you can’t have the stockings! Grab a cute cheap one for you and your roommate from Target or any department store and your room will immediately start to feel warmer.

DIY

Washi Tape

Grab some cute washi tape and designate a spot on the wall and let your creativity flow! You can make any shape that reminds you of the holiday spirit.

Gift Bow Wreath

This craft is super easy but turns out so cute! All you need to do is cut a large O shape out of cardboard (a great way to reuse the boxes of all the care packages sent from your mom), and glue gift bows to the cardboard until it is completely filled. You can use any type of glue and any assortment of colored bows that you like!

Popsicle Stick Hanukkah Garland

This craft also takes a little work but the results are worth it! Pick up some cute blue popsicle sticks and glue three together at the points to make a triangle. Repeat with three other popsicle sticks and then glue the two triangles together to make the Star of David. Repeat until you have as many as you want and tie them together with string at the point and then it’s ready for hanging!

Mason Jar Candles

While you likely aren’t allowed to keep real candles in your dorm room, you can still create the same warm glow with fake tea lights and a mason jar. Feel free to add decorations to the outside with paint and glitter.

Paper Snowflakes

While this may feel like you are back in elementary school making decorations for the classroom, paper snowflakes will never not be cute! The great thing about these is that they are so simple but allow for so much variation. Create as many or as few as you like and turn your room into a winter wonderland!

Paper Chain

This is also super simple! All you need is construction paper in the colors of your choosing and a stapler, yet it seriously upgrades your holiday décor. Hang on your wall or from the ceiling in any manner of your choosing.

Photo Credit:

• christmas
  • decorations
  • festive
  • hannukah
  • holiday
  • holiday decorations
  • spirit
  • Courtney is a journalism and drama double major at Hofstra University. She is also the Associate Producer of the 30 minute HEAT network news program Hofstra Today as well as a News Anchor for the WRHU radio show The Screening Room. She loves all things Broadway, thinks a good cup of coffee is essential to a good day, and is obsessed with her cat.