This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s a question that crosses everyone’s mind in college: Should I study abroad? The simple answer to that is yes! What is there to lose? The hardest part is choosing to take that leap. So here’s a list of reasons to help you out:

1. The Culture Immersing yourself in something you’ve never experienced before is the best way to learn and appreciate something new. You might just end up in the middle of a giant celebration!

2. Learning About History While Living In It There’s something so different and special about learning about events from history when you can walk right past where they happened. Gaining a greater understanding about the place you’re living for the next few months also helps you fall even more in love with your city/neighborhood.

3. Bang for the Buck Most of the time it’s either equal to or cheaper to study abroad for a semester compared to your home school. Studying in a different country and getting to be on vacation at the same time, what can be better than that? Plus sometimes the exchange rate works in your favor!

4. Making New Friends You have a chance to make friends with people from other countries with different or even similar backgrounds to your own. Whether they’re from the country you’re staying in or are in the same situation as you, everybody loves making new friends!

5. Adventures Galore Paris for the weekend? Skiing in the Alps? Vacation in Greece? Why not! Reckless trips instantly become so much better when it’s not just going into the city for the night. At the drop of a dime you can finally visit those tourist spots you’ve been dreaming of for years.

6. Freedom Being in college in a foreign country is entirely different from living away from home where you are most likely a car or train away from your parents. More than ever, you can choose how to spend your time and when exactly your curfew should be. And maybe you do end up staying out till the sun comes up but who’s there to judge?

7. Learning the Language Get out of your comfort zone; nothing works better than immersion when it comes to learning a new language. Locals absolutely love it when you make an effort to learn a few words. Maybe you can even use them to talk to a few boys… Who knows maybe they’ll offer to teach you more and take you on an adventure!?

8. Becoming a Local Getting to learn your neighborhood and getting a feel for the local hotspots does wonders for making you feel comfortable. Knowing which places are lit on the weekends and where to get the best brunch after a long night out will also earn you a few cool points with friends and family when they visit. Being seen as a regular will give you a certain level of pride.

9. Food Don’t even get me started. The cuisine in whichever country you choose is bound to be amazing. Between the local staples and street food, you’re in for a treat. Try something new and be adventurous, maybe you’ll find your new favorite snack!

10. Boys Lowkey lets be honest, nothing gets a girl better than a boy with an accent. I mean come on, it’s a proven fact, but… it also works the other way around ladies!! So plan those outfits out now ‘cause you never know, Mr. Right could be right around the corner!

It’s a new adventure in your life. So who cares; stay out all night, meet new people, go crazy! Memories after all last a lifetime, make some amazing ones!! You sure won’t be missing much here…

Currently a Sophomore at Hofstra University working towards a BA in Journalism, with a minor in Sociology. In the past Clare has worked for the non-profit Plan USA to help run youth advocacy programs and has worked to promote youth governance and youth empowerment in social activism. After graduation, Clare hopes to work for Buzzfeed (fingers crossed) or another online news source. She is looking for her big break in life with the least amount of mistakes on the journey there.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.