10 New Year Resolutions You’ll Actually Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Every year, people try to improve their lives with very unrealistic New Year resolutions that they end up breaking by February. Resolutions are hard to keep if they’re not practical. Instead of something really impossible, start small and you can ease your way into bigger life changes.

1. Walk more

Everyone should be walking at least 10,000 steps a day. Depending on your daily routine as a student, this can be pretty easy if you walk far to class, or a little more challenging if you don’t. There is always the option to go to the Fitness Center, but with such busy lives, it can be hard to squeeze in this time. 10,000 steps might be a little hard at first, so start small with about 3,000 and keep adding on. Hofstra is a relatively small campus, but you can walk a little more just by taking the stairs to your dorm or parking your car a little further.

2. Stick to a precise schedule

At the peak of my stress in the middle of last semester, a former professor told me about the importance of scheduling every minute of everyday. This allows you to be aware of the time you have to take care of your workload, enjoy a hobby and sleep. By writing down all the things happening in your life, you’ll be able to see how much open time you actually have. This only needs to be done one time and then add things gradually as different interests come around!

3. Challenge yourself

Everyday, people set themselves back because they are afraid of messing up or being wrong. You cannot expect to be a master at your craft the second you start a new project. Whether it is a new technology, challenging book, or a new sport, things take time to learn. Learning something new is a wonderful thing, and the more you try, the sooner you will improve.

4. Keep an area of your life organized

“Be more organized” is a very vague goal. Take one area that really needs focus: maybe it is your desk, notes, closet, or book collection. Do something small to make it look together and organized. Try color coding or going through a clothing detox and donating your things to charity. Whatever you choose, stick with keeping that area tidy this year!  

5. Indulge in a passion

Try stepping outside of your normal field of interests and indulge in something you love. Does painting make you more relaxed? How do you feel about rock climbing? Find one thing you really enjoy doing, and devote time to it. You will lead a a more relaxed and happier life.

6. Spend more time with family

Don’t forget your friends and family at home. Make an effort to call or FaceTime them more regularly. Scheduling 15 minutes once or twice a week is not too much for even the busiest bodies. Not having you around could be hard on some parents, so knowing you are alright and doing well will give them a little bit of peace. A simple call can go a long way.

7. Cut back on the technology

As students, it is nearly impossible to go a day without looking at a screen. Not only can technology hurt our eyes, but it takes us away from the world around us. Cutting out technology all together isn’t realistic, but even an hour without screens can give you a nice rest and put you in a better mood.

8. Enjoy nature’s beauty

This is really just a fancy way of saying make sure to get outside everyday. Sit outside for a bit, go for a walk or watch the sunset. Do anything to get yourself some fresh air. It is very hard to regret stepping a foot out your door even for a second.

9. Enjoy today

This is a new year, it is time to restart and forget about the past. Let your grudges go and if that can’t happen, talk it out and see what happens. There is no need to let the past ruin your promising future. Focus on what’s happening right here, right now and live. You will be happier, guaranteed.

10. Reflect daily

It is important to analyze your day so you can relive the happy times and also improve on things for the next day. Whether that requires prayer, journaling, or just thinking about it before you fall asleep, a time of reflection will ease your mind and prepare you for a better tomorrow.

No matter how much difficulty you have had with New Year Resolutions in the past, there is always an opportunity to try again. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Kimberly Donahue is a junior at Hofstra University majoring in broadcast journalism. She aspires to constantly be sharing the stories of people across the world as a broadcast news reporter for a major network, but for now is exploring other realms of journalism and writing about her other interests including reading, dreaming, science, and more. Currently, she is serving as the News Director for WRHU, Hofstra University's two time Marconi award winning station. When she's not on the go she's falling down a Wikipedia black hole, you can find her binge watching YouTube segments from late night talk shows.
Jessica is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Hofstra University's Her Campus Chapter. Jessica, from New Jersey, is a journalism major and psychology minor at Hofstra University. As a dedicated member of her college's Her Campus chapter since her freshman year, she has held the role of staff writer, Snapshot editor, Secretary and now CC. Outside of Her Campus, Jessica's publications include JeannineMorris.com, TheCelebrityCafe.com, FashionWeek.com, The Hofstra Chronicle and the Long Island Report, where she is also a student editor. In her spare time Jessica enjoys being outdoors, camping and hiking, snowboarding in the winter, hitting the Jersey Shore beaches in the summer, working out and spending time with her friends, family, and pets. Check out her fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog at http://Jessie-Leigh.com.