10 Fun Winter Activities in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Winter is almost here, which means snow and hot chocolate. While it’s tempting to cuddle up on the couch with a steaming mug and a good movie there’s quite the variety of fun activities to be done. Check out this list of my favorite winter activities, then pause the Netflix, grab some friends, and make the most out of this holiday season.

1.     Ice Skating

Yes, this is kind of a given, but it really is fun. Grab your boyfriend or your best friends and head to NYC. There are several places to skate including Bryant Park, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center. Just don’t forget your puffy jacket, it protects from the cold, and makes a nice cushion when you slip on the ice!

2.     Window-shopping

Fifth Avenue is absolutely stunning this time of year. Not only are the streets decorated, but a lot of stores go all out as well. Grab some friends and check out all of the holiday displays. Macy’s, Bloomingdales, Lord and Taylor, and Sak’s are sure to please.

3.     Rockefeller Tree

The tree at Rockefeller Center is a must see this holiday season. Admire the lights while watching people skate on the rink below, and make sure to take lots of pictures. The tree is the perfect background for Christmas cards!

4.     Grand Central Station

On your way back from window-shopping or skating make a quick detour through Grand Central. There’s a Holiday Fair going on through December 24th that has lots of unique, locally made items– pillows, purses, jewelry, clothing—perfect gifts for your mom, sister, or best friend.

5.     See the Rockettes

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is something that everyone should see at least once in their lives. It’s truly something that your entire family will enjoy. They’re playing several shows throughout December and prices start at $45!

6.     See a show

For those who aren’t so into Christmas spectaculars try a broadway show or a TV taping. A broadway show may sound pricy, but it really isn’t. Shows offer student rush discounts, around $35 for a ticket with a valid student ID. Check out studentrush.com to see a list of applicable shows and the rush prices for each one.  Don’t have $30? Don’t worry about it! Try a live show instead. Shows like Anderson Cooper, Katie Couric, Good Morning America, The View and Late Night Shows all have a studio audience, and tickets are usually free. Just look up the show and apply online!

7.     Flea Markets

Looking for unique, and affordable holiday gifts? Try a flea market. The Brooklyn Flea Market is open Saturdays and Sundays and features over 100 vendors. You’re sure to find something for everyone on your list there. Or hit up the Green Flea on Columbus Avenue for some funky vintage and costume jewelry.

8.     Waldorf Astoria

Okay, so we all can’t afford to spend a night in a luxury hotel, but we can pretend! Grab a friend, and a cup of coffee at Starbucks, and make yourself comfortable in the lobby of this iconic hotel. Read a magazine, people watch, or picture what the hotel would’ve been like when Marilyn Monroe was a guest.

9.     Central Park

Central Park is absolutely gorgeous in the winter. Take an afternoon to enjoy nature, and possibly a snowball fight. Girls vs. guys anyone? You can also bring your sleds and hit the slopes on the parks two sledding hills.

10.  Take a class

The New York Public Library offers awesome free classes, ranging from yoga and zumba to jewelry making, poetry and origami. Visit the events page at nypl.org/events to see a complete list of the fun classes available year round!