yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Fall Activities in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Surprise, surprise; there are other things to do in the fall besides drinking pumpkin spice lattes. For the love of God, please get out of your local Starbucks and go explore the New York City!

1. Visit the High Line

Want to be a friend of the High Line? Easy. Go for a visit. Fall is the perfect time to go for a walk and experience the city from a completely different perspective. Historical, eco-friendly and the perfect spot for a picnic!

2.  Brew your own beer

This one is only for those 21 and over. Did you know fall is the best time to brew beer? Well, now you do! Check out Brooklyn Brew Shop for all of your home-brewing needs. Warning: you may want to take a class if you’re new to the game, like this one at City Brew Shop.

3. Check out the floats

Who doesn’t love the Thanksgiving Day parade? I’d say most people do, but hate being in the crowd on the actual day. Quite the conundrum, that is if you didn’t know that that you can see the Snoopy balloon in all his glory at the Macy’s Parade Balloon Inflation. Go at night and skip the rush of kids!

4. Enjoy a night at the theater

Michael C. Hall, Bradley Cooper, Glenn Close, Hugh Jackman – these are just some of the stars lighting up the Great White Way this season! This is your chance to do some serious celebrity sighting.

5. Central Park

I’d be remiss if I didn’t recall Central Park in fall. (What would Wayne Newton say?) But in all seriousness, the city doesn’t have a ton of trees; so take advantage of the most beautiful fall foliage you’ll find in Manhattan. Talk about Instagram-worthy.

6. Top of the Rock

Everyone has gone to the top of the Empire State Building. Skip that and head straight to the Top of the Rock! Located atop Rockefeller Center, this observation deck is the perfect place to watch the sun set on the city that never sleeps.

7.  Drunken Shakespeare

Have you been brushing up on the bard? You might want to revisit high school lit class before you take in a night of Drunken Shakespeare. To be or not to be… (slightly tipsy) while you recite your best rendition of Romeo + Juliet’s balcony scene.

8. The Standard Biergarten 

So maybe you missed Oktoberfest. Keine sorgen! That’s German for no worries. The Standard has everything you need to channel your inner beer maid, Bavarian costume not necessary. 

9.  The Amazing Maize Maze

Venture out into Queens to feast your eyes on the Amazing Maize Maze!  You must find clues and solve puzzles to find your way out of this labyrinth – an enormous 3 acres of corn!

10. Boo at the Zoo!

I know many of you collegiettes are animal lovers, so this one’s for you! This New York Halloween tradition at the Bronx Zoo is back in full swing. Check out this year’s awesome new jack-o-lantern display.

Brianna is a proud Long Islander finishing her graduate journalism degree here at Hofstra. The East Meadow native wears many hats on campus, including Assistant News Director at WRHU, Grad Assistant at the Center for Civic Engagement and of course Treasurer here at Her Campus Hofstra! Brianna is currently interning at Fox News. But until she can go set the journalism world on fire, she’ll just have to settle for planning adventures abroad, binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and commiserating about her beloved New York Jets. Follow her on Twitter at @BriannaBorresen!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!