10 Covers That Are Better Than the Originals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all have our favorite song, but why do you think you’re attracted to it? Is it the beat, or the words or the hidden meaning behind it? What about the way the singer and accompanying band play the song? Because music is extremely personal from person to person, we all become nervous when we find out that there is another version of the song sung by someone else. I used to be terrified. What if it just totally ruins the whole meaning of the song for me? I’ve come to learn though that hearing the same music sung by different people only enhances the experience. People have a tendency to neglect the words in upbeat songs, but when another artist strips it down, the song can mean so much more. Here are my ten favorite covers that might just be better than the original song itself!

1. Dance Hall Days by Imperial Mammoth (Original by Wang Chung)

2. Teenage Dream by The Rescues (Original by Katy Perry)

3. Ignition (Remix) by The Wind and the Wave (Original by R. Kelly)

4. Forever Young by Youth Group (Original by Alphaville)

5. Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Aron Wright (Original by Tears for Fears)

6. Back to Black by Beyonce (feat. Andre 3000) (Original by Amy Winehouse)

7. Shake It Off by Us the Duo (Original by Taylor Swift)

8. Make You Feel My Love by Adele (Original by Bob Dylan)

9. If You Leave by Nada Surf (original by Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark)

10. Fancy by Tristan Prettyman (Original by Iggy Azalea)

Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.