10 Apps to Help You Get Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Sometimes (okay, most times,) college is really difficult and it can get overwhelming. Fortunately, there are a lot of phone apps that can relieve some of the stress you might be feeling. I found these ten apps extremely useful in managing the every-day life of a college student, and I think you will too.

Venmo

Ever had that moment when you really want to buy something but then you see that dreaded “cash only” sign? Your friend offers to spot you but you’re not sure when you’re going to have the cash to pay them back—that’s where Venmo comes in. By downloading the Venmo app and syncing your bank account, you can easily access your checking or savings accounts and pay your friends back in a matter of seconds.

Uber or Lyft 

Uber is a great resource when you need to get somewhere relatively quickly and you don’t have any other means of transportation. However, sometimes Uber drivers can be a little bit sketchy and they’re not always the safest drivers. So, for all of you ladies that feel a little wary of those uncomfortable Uber rides, try Lyft instead. Lyft interviews their drivers face to face so you’re less likely to encounter an unfriendly driver.  

Google Calendars

I wouldn’t be able to keep my head on straight without Google Calendars. You can put all of your events, appointments, meetings, etc. into this app and color code them by the occasion. You can even add locations and other extra notes to your event. Basically, it’s the best.

GroupMe

GroupMe is a college student’s best and worst friend. We all love to hate group chats, but without them, we’d probably miss out on a lot of vital information. When freshman year comes, you might as well download it because you’ll probably be in about four GroupMe chats by the first day.

Your Bank’s App

These apps, like those for TD Bank and Paypal, really come in handy. They keep track of your spending and tell you how much you have in your bank account on the fly. You can deposit checks on most bank apps, too. These apps are especially useful for college kids because let’s face it, we’re all low-key broke and need to watch what we’re spending.

Citymapper

This won’t really apply to you if you don’t go to school in or near a city but for those of you at Hofstra, this could be your new best friend. If you’re anything like me, you have an embarrassingly hard time figuring out how to use the subway. It’s challenging enough to figure out how to get somewhere in a big city in general, let alone by public transportation. With this app you put in your current location and your destination and it tells you everything you need to know: directions to the subway station, what train to catch, and how to get to your destination once you get off the train. 

Spot On

We all have trouble forgetting to take our birth control from time to time, but since downloading this app, I have yet to miss a day. This Planned Parenthood-sponsored app tracks your period for you and gives you a reminder every day when it’s time to take your pill. You can even log in your moods from day to day, as well as other changes to track your cycle. And, if you do miss a day, it tells you how long you’ll be fertile and when the hormones will start to work again.

Google Photos

Need to save some storage on your phone? Download Google Photos and store all of your pictures on there. You’ll still have all of your photos on your phone, they just won’t be stored in the Photos app so no storage will be taken up. You can also log into Google Photos from a laptop or iPad so you can access your photos from virtually anywhere.

Spotify

If you don’t already have Spotify, you’re missing out big time. You can make playlists for any occasion, download them to your phone, and listen whenever you want. Students can access Spotify premium (and Hulu) for only $5 per month! Bless those student discounts.

Unidays

This is for all of the ladies out there that have an incurable shopping addiction, like me. Make an account on this app using your college email and you’ll automatically receive amazing discounts from brands like NastyGal, Adidas, Asos, and more! Some discounts even go up to as much as 60% off. Student discounts are always the move and this app allows you to access so many that you wouldn’t be able to access in stores.

Madeline is a journalism major at Hofstra University, and is a writer for HC Hofstra. If you're looking for her, you can probably find her at an Anthropologie, the beach, or eating peanut butter out of the jar.