How To Keep Up With Current Events In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Most girls keep up with the Kardashians, but what about everything else going on? Here are just a few of the quickest, and easiest to comprehend ways to stay in the know.

1. theSkimm

If you haven’t subscribed to theSkimm yet, what are you waiting for? I first discovered this amazing daily email subscription in high school and still realize new benefits it holds each day. TheSkimm is a daily email (only during the week though), that takes less than five minutes to read. TheSkimm gives you a recap of all the big things going on in the world, whether it be entertainment wise, politically or internationally. While it is all good information to know I have also found that some of the information was also applicable in classes, such as government or anything involving politics.

2. Snapchat

If you don’t click through the Snapchat Discover Tabs then you’re missing out. Daily updates from Comedy Central, Cosmopolitan, People, ESPN, CNN and so many others are something everyone needs in their lives. Whether it’s a video, article, or picture, the update is sure to inform you of something you needed to know, like what outfit not to wear, to the latest sports story that will help you with impressing that cute guy in your bio lab.

3. iPhone News App on iOS 9

There is more to the new iPhone update than just a different font or changes in some of the layouts. The new News app works as a Pinterest for newspapers, fashion magazines and more. Just select the type of news you are interested in to receive updates throughout the day. If you really want to know what’s going on, I recommend tagging the New York Times as well for a controlled dosage of real world news.

4. Facebook Articles

While this method of staying informed might not be the most accurate, all of those articles your grandparents and aunts are sharing might just have a little bit of truth to them. In all seriousness though, it’s good to sometimes read those silly articles, to stay informed. There may be local news stories that you don’t always see when you’re away at school, so it’s good to read through these articles to know what is happening as well as what others are interested in.

While making time to watch the daily news just isn’t something a girl in college can always do, that doesn’t mean it isn’t important. Luckily technology makes it easier for us girls on the go to stay informed, so make sure you take advantage of them.

Erika Esterline is a freshman at High Point University. Her major is communications, currently with a concentration in journalim and she is also minoring in graphic design. On campus she writes for the school newspaper, the Campus Chronicle, helps with HPU News and is part of the Media Fellows Program. When she's not doing school work you can find her binge watching Netflix with her suitemates or hiding out in the editing suites playing on inDesign.  
Mollie McKinley is currently a rising junior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina, where she studies English Literature with a double minor in communications and women and gender studies. Mollie is a proud sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, a High Point University swimmer, and serves as a campus correspondent for High Point's chapter of Her Campus. She works as a Writing Tutor for HPU's Writing Center, and has a love for dogs, creative writing, poetry, netflix and music. Mollie's biggest aspiration is to work as a humor writer for Buzzfeed, or for any online media, really. Mollie is a strong supporter of gender equality and loving yourself, although it can be hard a majority of the time. Mollie is originially from West Virginia with an endless passion for the outdoors, and really awesome hikes.