This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Throughout my studies, I have taken different kinds of courses. I have studied languages, linguistics, European studies, business studies, and the list goes on. I have always wanted to learn more and more about different kinds of subjects, and what would be a better place to explore different courses and faculties than a university?

And as we all know, variety is the spice of life – or, in this case, studies. There should be great variation in the courses that you choose to take at your university. That way you really make the most of your time at uni and you will never get bored with your studies. A little bit of English grammar in the morning, discussions on the Napoleonic Wars in the afternoon and some basics of physics before it is time to go home. That does not sound like a boring day, does it?

Keep in mind that studying abroad can also offer you new and interesting subjects to study. Your university abroad can offer courses that your own university does not have, and so you may find new subjects during your student exchange too. Another reason to say yes to new adventures and study abroad! For example, I became interested in European studies even more after I got the chance to take those kinds of courses in France during my student exchange abroad. In France, the students were extremely passionate about the EU and its aims and challenges, and so I became more fascinated about the EU too. Thus, the discussions and conversations with our fellow students are also vital when it comes to our studies!

However, I have to say that it is also totally cool if you “only” do studies in your major. It means that you have chosen the perfect major for you! Well done!

The main thing is that you find studying fulfilling – that you feel like you enjoy your studies and you want to continue doing that. Though, we all have not-so-good days for sure. Especially now that it is dark and gloomy 24/7, dragging yourself to the university at 8 AM can be a bit depressing. But you just got to remind yourself that you are going to the uni to learn more about matters that interest you. How lucky are we, right?

Are you looking for new courses to take? Would you like to broaden your horizons when it comes to your studies? If you are a student at the University of Helsinki, here is a link to the website that will help you to find new, fascinating courses: https://courses.helsinki.fi/

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Gandhi

Currently studying at the University of Helsinki with a major in English. When I'm not studying, you can find me reading and obsessing over books, traveling, binge-watching sitcoms and talking about my dogs and human rights.
Helsinki Contributor